where to post?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Omard., Oct 10, 2003.

1. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

I have an upgrade question where should I post it?

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Either here (if it is basic) or in the appropriate forum. "Sources" for DVD, VCR, Cable box etc. "Receivers" for receivers, separates and amps. "Speakers" for speakers and/or subs. "Display Devices" for TV's, projectors etc.

3. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

Well my question is this I have a sony receiver that I purchased about three or four years ago. It does not have any components inputs or optical inputs. It does not have dd 5.1 or dts or anything. I have a pair of Bose 301 series speakers, and a 5 disc non progressive scan dvd player which has all the connection i can imagine. which one should i up grade first?

4. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

well, that all depends. There's not much point in upgrading your receiver to something with 5.1 capability if you don't have the necessary speakers in your home. At the same time, you ask about upgrading a pair of Bose speakers. First, you'll learn quickly that Bose is not a respected name in audio around here. Second, you've kind of got yourself in a situation where you don't need one without the other.

If you don't have 5 speakers and a sub, there isn't much point to getting a 5.1 receiver right now....but there isn't much point to buying 5 speakers and a sub if you don't have the receiver to output 5.1 audio. Hence the dilemma.

If you can afford to update both at the same time, do so. If not, pick one and upgrade in stages as money allows.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

My advice would be to try and get both a new DD receiver, and 5 speakers.

Use the "Speakers" fourm to read reviews of "Rockets" and "JBL Northridge" speakers, and Home Theater Direct.

(Or hit eBay and find 3 more matching Bose speakers. While Bose is not popular because of their marketing practices, a set of 5 identical speakers - including Bose - can give a great HT experience).

Use the "Receivers" fourm to find budget-but-good HT receivers. There are also several HTB (Home Theaters in a Box) that give you all the toys for about $600 that do quite a good job for the price.

If you can only do one, upgrade the receiver first, then the speakers second. (At least you can use the new receiver as soon as you bring it home.)

6. Kevin Stewart

Kevin Stewart Second Unit

Kevin Stewart
    1. Receiver
    2. Speakers
    3. DVD player

Stew

7. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

I guess I did not explain well. I have 5 speakers

Fronts: Bose 301
    Center: Sony that came with the HTIB I bought 4 years ago
    Rear: Sony that came with a Stereo

The receiver does have the 5.1 jacks, but I don't see dd anywere on the front of the receiver.

The system is about 4 years old and not sure what needs to go first. My wife just bought my the Sony Kt 46wt500 and i have the comcat hd setup so I want to bring the rest of my system up to speed.

8. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    If your receiver has five output connectors + 1 for a sub, then it's either Dolby ProLogic or Dolby Digital. DTS would have been visible somewhere. Receivers seldom had 'DD' on their fronts.

If you still have the user manual or something like it, please consult it now. If you don't have it anymore, tell us more about the receiver (brand, type number), perhaps we can help.

Personally, I think I would start with deciding which new receiver I wanted - and then buy the speakers that would properly accommodate that receiver (Watts, Impedance) first.
    Then buy a new receiver (probably the one I choose).
    Then start to think about a possible upgrade of the DVD player.

But that's just me...

Cees

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, audio should be your first concern then. As others have suggested, upgrade simultaneously with a new receiver (you can find some really good units with all the modern processing formats for really good prices) and a ready-matched, budget home-theater speaker setup that gets all the fundamentals right (the Energy Take 5.2 is popular around here, and I suggest you check out Acoustic Research's superb HC6 system).

Then you will want to consider a nice progressive-scan DVD player.

10. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking at these four receivers tell me what you guys think. (in not particular order)

Denon avr-3803
    Onkyo txsr-701
    Onkyo txnr-801
    Yamaha rxv-2400

and these speakers (also in no particular order)

Definitive Technology Mythos
    JBL Northridge E60BK
    Pinnacle BD1000BK

Or do you guys feel better about some other speakers