What's new

Where to position my amp and receiver? (1 Viewer)

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I have a Salamander 5 shelf audio rack, and I am looking for tips on the best way to stack my components. I realize that I will need to stack at least one component on another.
  1. Denon 3802
  2. Samson S1000 Amp
  3. JVC SA70BK DVD
  4. Sony 5CD Changer
  5. Panamax 5300
  6. Hughes HDTV DirecTV receiver[/list=1]

If you were starting from the bottom of the rack and working to the top, where would you place the components?

Does it matter if the power cords are near the RCA's or speaker wire?

MarcVH

Second Unit
John,

Your setup is pretty similar to mine. I would suggest you stack the two of the light source components: the CD changer, DVD player, and DirectTV receiver. Choose which based on size and aesthetics.

I'd put the Receiver on the middle shelf. Below it, the Samson subwoofer amp, and Panamax conditioner (probably could go in either order.) That puts the heavy stuff low, making the rack stable, and means fewer wires will cross.

It's nice to avoid having the RCA interconnects run close to speaker wires, but by putting the source components on the top and the amps on the bottom you get that almost for free.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
Some documentation suggests not putting anything w/in several inches of the top of the receiver, which would seem to mean putting it on top to give it breathing room. Personally, I'd put the cd changer and dvd player on top so I wouldn't have to bend over to change discs, but that's just be my own lazy perspective.

MarcVH

Second Unit
Yup, granted that you should have enough room above the 3802 (the manual suggests 4 inches on all sides and above.)

I probably should have instead mentioned general principles of how to stack stuff:
  • Put the hot stuff where it can get enough ventilation
  • Put the heavy stuff on the bottom to make the rack stable
  • Put the stuff with remote controls up high, where the remote will work without the coffee table getting in the way
  • Put the stuff with digital displays you want to see up high, where you can see them
  • Put the stuff you physically touch (e.g. DVD players to change the disc) up high where you don't have to bend down
  • Try to avoid running interconnects next to power/speaker lines to the degree you can

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks