Where to place which speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by brentSkieb, Jun 21, 2006.

1. brentSkieb

brentSkieb Extra

I have a question about 'which speakers would be best to put where?' I've got Polk speakers and am currently using the my RT-35's as my side speakers and a single Polk CS-300 as my back speaker.

However, I'm moving into a larger room where I'll be able to take advantage of my pair of Polk FX-500i's bi-dipole speakers that have been collecting dust.(that I'll be using in a 7.1 set-up in place of the single CS-300)

My listening position isn't ideal. While I have 6' to ea. side of me, I have only a bit over 3' from my seating area to the back wall

Would it be best to keep the straight firing RT-35's on each side with the FX-500i's high on the back wall or, should it be the other way around w/the bi-dipole speakers on the sides and the RT-35's on the back wall?

Any replies and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I would use the bipole/dipole speakers on the sides. By "bi-dipole" do you mean that there is a switch on them so they can be dipole or bipole? If so, then play with both settings. If they are dipole I think you'd definitely want them on the sides. If they are bipole then they could probably work in either place, but I would still prefer them on the sides.

3. brentSkieb

brentSkieb Extra

Yes,the FX-500i's have a knob on it that allows you to switch between dipole or bipole.
    So placing the FX 500i's on the sides leaves me with the RT-35's to be placed on the back wall as my rear surround spkrs.

Is there a specific height they should be placed at for the rear?

As I mentioned, the rear wall is only about 3' behind my listening position and I'm not sure what the height should be or where they should be located.
    Should they be mounted directly over head, or spread out a few feet to each side?
    (it's kind of hard to 'play with them' without getting 2 tall ladders to place them on which I could move around to find the 'proper' spot.)
    The room is about 14' wide

Again,any suggestions or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Brentski