Where to place subwoofer? Floorplan inside...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Aaron Gould, May 22, 2003.

1. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould Stunt Coordinator

Aaron Gould
    Could somebody help me out with where to place the sub-woofer in my room? The bottom-right corner is out of the question as the desk is occupying it. The rear-centre is where my desk chair will be, so that too is out of the question. Will it have to be in either the bottom- or top-left side?

[c][​IMG][/c]

2. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

Probably, but try it in more than one spot. Some people have suggested put the sub where the couch (listening position) is and go to the places you are considering for the sub. Whichever place sounds the best, be sure to try the sub there. I might would try to place it on the wall somewhere with your front three speakers (between the TV and a main speaker or in a corner if you need more bass response), but it looks as if that might be too tight to fit it in comfortably.

My room is similar, but my room is about 17.5' wide instead of 11.5'. I put my servo-15 in the corner. My entertainment center is too large to allow me to try it between one of the mains and TV. One of these days, I'll have to clean my room and post some pics.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

FWIW, rules of thumb that have always seemed to work for me:

1) For highest raw output: in a corner.
    2) For the best compromise between output and flat freq response, 1/3 or 2/5 along the longest wall.

So maybe along the bottom wall in between the left speaker and window?

4. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

Your room is almost identical in size and general layout to my HT. My recommendation? Put it front left or right in the corner behind one of your mains.

Gordon

5. DustinF

DustinF Agent

My layout is identical. I only have a 10" sub and found that it was too weak with the three speakers up front.

I put is right by the couch and its sounds great.

6. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould
    Well the picture from my original post is the plan when my basement is done -- it's only a wood frame with insulation right now.

Currently (and in previous incarnations of my "theater"), the sub has always been in the front-left or front-right corner of my rooms. Always behind or near a front speaker. My sub is a boomy one (Paradigm PS1000), and it's very bass-intensive -- almost to the point that it sounds distorted. I'd like a new one at some point, but budget prohibits it at this time. I almost wonder if it's built more for beat-driven music (techno, ambient, etc).

I'll try putting the sub in the suggestion locations and see if it improves the quality any. There are also three attenuators on the sub (crossover freq., volume, and something else [​IMG]), perhaps that's all I need to tweak...?

7. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

8. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould
    You know I'd love an SVS... but they're WAY outta my budget.

For now anyway. [​IMG]