Where to mount Paradigm Di-Poles?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GarryW, Jan 27, 2002.

1. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

Is the correct location for the Paradigm ADP series is to have the null point on the speaker directly facing the listening area or just slightly behind it, like 10-20 degrees?

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I have the null point of mine lined directly with my ears when sitting back in the listening area. Since they are too heavy to mount on my walls (the sheetrock is so old, the anchors pulled out!!!!), I have them on stands which put them at ear level, instead of the recommended 5-6' height.

I found that if I put the null point in front of or behind my ears, it just doesn't sound right.

3. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Clinton. I am still in the new construction stage and spent all weekend getting the ADP-350's located directly across from one another, a little behind the listening area.
    I will move them so that the null area is directly adjacent to speakers null point.
    There is an article on Paradigms new web site called "Dipolar Confusion: The Case for Dipole Surrounds"
    that indicates that the dipoles be mounted 10-20° behind the listening area. Check this out at:
    http://www.paradigm.ca/Support/TechF...rConfusion.pdf
    I'm thinking that your suggestion is the way to go as the reason I went with dipoles in the first is not to get any localized effects.

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

The general thought with dipoles is in the null as noted above. Another recommendation is to place them at 110 degrees (vs. 90, or about 20 degrees back from the null) relative to the listening position. I think one of the reasons why this may sound weird is that there is some cancellation of sound at the speaker itself. Even though you're listening more to the forward driver vs. the rear there's a bit of a void (hence the null-spot recommendation - the dipole philosophy is to eliminate the surrounds as a point source). My thought is that the "off-null" position may be more appropriate for bipoles where the same signal is sent from the forward and rear drivers and are not cancelled. You get the directional effect from the front drivers with the ambience from the rears without the void.

If you have the freedom to do so experiment, but make sure you recalibrate levels for each position.

5. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

How close to the back wall can the ADPs be mounted and still sound good?

Thanks,

Aaron

6. Marty D.

Marty D. Agent

The new version 3 ADP170's are slanted out instead off strickly to the sides. Since I bought the version 2's I am wondering if the new versions would create a more diffuse sound field. Any comments?

7. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

Aaron, I am wondering that myself; due to my room design, I can only have them like 6" from the back wall.