What's new

Where to look for audiophile cds? (1 Viewer)

Ben Henry

Grip
I was wondering if anyone could recommend recording labels that specifically try to cater to those with higher end stereo systems by creating higher end recordings. I was also curious as to what formats, if any, offer any advantages to regular 16 bit pcm cds without having to gear up for DVD audio or SACD yet?
Any thought would be greatly appreciated. Also, feel free to recommed specific albums. I am waiting for a new speaker set up to come in and would really like to listen to music that I may not have previously exposed myself to. Any genre is welcome.
Regards,
Ben

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
"Reference Recordings" is another high quality label for both classical and jazz. http://www.referencerecordings.com/
A few I've particularly enjoyed:
Mike Garson: "Oxnard Sessions" Vol. I (RR-37 CD) & II (RR-53 HDCD).
EIJI OUE and the MINNESOTA ORCHESTRA: "Leonard Bernstein: Premeire Recordings"(RR-87HDCD), Grammy-nominated "Bolero" (RR-92HDCD) and "Copeland 100" (RR-93HDCD) with "Fanfare for the Common Man", "Appalachian Spring" and the 3rd Symphony.
Enjoy -
Burke
[Edited last by Burke Strickland on July 10, 2001 at 02:28 PM]

Ben Henry

Grip
Everybody,
Thanks so much for your input! I have a lot to explore now. I have another couple of questions though. I have a standard sony DVD changer. I am wondering what types of recording technology I can avail myself to. I know I can't play SACD or DVD audio in their 6 channel formats, but I can play 20 bit HDCDs. Is their anything else I should be looking for in my "audiophile" music recordings besides just an all digital recording process? Will the SACD format provide a better sound in its 2 channel default mode that standard 16 bit pcm recordings?
Thanks for any information. I'm purchasing a new 5 speaker group and am very excited to use the best possible recordings I can to really make them shine
Regards,
Ben
[Edited last by Ben Henry on July 11, 2001 at 09:46 AM]

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
You know, I've been trying for about 5 years to find Joe Jackson's Night and Day Mobile Fidelity Labs disc...
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
quote: You know, I've been trying for about 5 years to find Joe Jackson's Night and Day Mobile Fidelity Labs disc...[/quote]Nope, I didn't know until just now... :>) I'm afraid with Mobile Fidelity Labs releases basically being unavailable these days,(since they went out of business a couple of years ago and the "fire sales" are mostly "history") it's going to be even harder to find rare titles. :

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Stereophile reported not long back that Mobile Fidelity is coming back. I don't know what that means for their catalog titles.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks