Where to look for audiophile cds?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Henry, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Ben Henry

Ben Henry Extra

I was wondering if anyone could recommend recording labels that specifically try to cater to those with higher end stereo systems by creating higher end recordings. I was also curious as to what formats, if any, offer any advantages to regular 16 bit pcm cds without having to gear up for DVD audio or SACD yet?
    Any thought would be greatly appreciated. Also, feel free to recommed specific albums. I am waiting for a new speaker set up to come in and would really like to listen to music that I may not have previously exposed myself to. Any genre is welcome.
    Regards,
    Ben

2. Richard Fernandez

Richard Fernandez Stunt Coordinator

3. Ben Henry

Ben Henry Extra

Richard,
    Thanks! I'm on my way to Chesky.

4. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

5. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

6. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

"Reference Recordings" is another high quality label for both classical and jazz. http://www.referencerecordings.com/
    A few I've particularly enjoyed:
    Mike Garson: "Oxnard Sessions" Vol. I (RR-37 CD) & II (RR-53 HDCD).
    EIJI OUE and the MINNESOTA ORCHESTRA: "Leonard Bernstein: Premeire Recordings"(RR-87HDCD), Grammy-nominated "Bolero" (RR-92HDCD) and "Copeland 100" (RR-93HDCD) with "Fanfare for the Common Man", "Appalachian Spring" and the 3rd Symphony.
    Enjoy -
    Burke
    [Edited last by Burke Strickland on July 10, 2001 at 02:28 PM]

7. Ben Henry

Ben Henry Extra

Everybody,
    Thanks so much for your input! I have a lot to explore now. I have another couple of questions though. I have a standard sony DVD changer. I am wondering what types of recording technology I can avail myself to. I know I can't play SACD or DVD audio in their 6 channel formats, but I can play 20 bit HDCDs. Is their anything else I should be looking for in my "audiophile" music recordings besides just an all digital recording process? Will the SACD format provide a better sound in its 2 channel default mode that standard 16 bit pcm recordings?
    Thanks for any information. I'm purchasing a new 5 speaker group and am very excited to use the best possible recordings I can to really make them shine
    Regards,
    Ben
    [Edited last by Ben Henry on July 11, 2001 at 09:46 AM]

8. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

9. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

You know, I've been trying for about 5 years to find Joe Jackson's Night and Day Mobile Fidelity Labs disc...
    ------------------
    Andrew Hamm's new album Strange Education is available now!

10. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

quote: You know, I've been trying for about 5 years to find Joe Jackson's Night and Day Mobile Fidelity Labs disc...[/quote]Nope, I didn't know until just now... :>) I'm afraid with Mobile Fidelity Labs releases basically being unavailable these days,(since they went out of business a couple of years ago and the "fire sales" are mostly "history") it's going to be even harder to find rare titles. :

11. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Stereophile reported not long back that Mobile Fidelity is coming back. I don't know what that means for their catalog titles.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV