Where to live?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Joe Wilmore, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Joe Wilmore

Joe Wilmore Stunt Coordinator

I currently live in Santa Barbara, CA. where the average home price is about $850,000. I own my own business, and I am 30 years old and single. I am looking for a fun town, that is cheaper to live in. I would prefer warmer weather most of the time. Also good looking girls helps.

2. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

San Diego is nice.

3. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Medellin, Colombia. [​IMG]

Birmingham, Alabama (where I live) is also very nice. A surprising diamond in the rough. Medium sized city 2 hours from Atlanta with wonderful restaurants, lots of colleges, surprisingly metropolitan.

I bought a 2900 SF house on a golf course for $200K and my property taxes are ~$750 per year.

[​IMG]

John

4. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

You're dissssssssspicable

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Joe, with the exception of real estate prices, it looks like you're already where you want to be. A lot of people would love to live in SB. But after doing so much freelance work onsite in SB, I could go a lifetime without ever going there again.

6. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Vegas, baby, Vegas!

7. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    You could live anywhere, except do NOT live underneath that monstrous boulder that's balancing gingerly on top of a narrow rock column!!

Seriously, have you ever considered Canada?? you get some advantage with your dollar, housing is cheap ($250k in Calgary for an avg type house) great town to live in (i'm 31 and single, and there's lots to offer here for me). The only thing is, it's quite a bit colder than SB. Today it's +6, which in farenheit would be about 40?

8. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

Joe, welcome to Long Beach.

9. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

Come to yuppie Orange County =) cheaper than Santa Barbara but not that cheap...

10. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Let's see... warm, CONSIDERABLY cheaper than California, good looking girls, beaches, lower cost of living, NO STATE INCOME tax... South Florida!

11. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Joe - Do you own a house in Santa B now? If so, what would it sell for (how much capital you have for a new house)? Are you going to sell your business, or will it moe with you?

And of course: what do you want out of this move? Affordable housing, city culture, a big open ranch for horses, place to raise a family, or hotter chicks? If you can't find enough hot chicks in Santa Barbara though, I wouldn't know where else to send you [​IMG]

12. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

most of the californians who moved out from Cali goes to Phoenix or Vegas.

13. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Pennsylvania can be a cheap place in which to live. An excellent house around here goes for 150-200k. However, winters can get very cold (averaging single digit low's for the last week). Also, I live in a rather low income community and the gals are slim picking. The gals in the cities aren't bad, but again, you have the climate...

Just giving you a little idea of where you probably want to avoid given the specifics you've listed. [​IMG]

14. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Not Atlanta.

15. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    What about FL, somewhere on the coast? maybe Miami or somewhere else in Southern FL? housing would be much cheaper down here and it is usually pretty warm around here except that it cools down a little in Winter.

16. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

On a side note, my brother lives in Fla. and works at Seaworld (artist). He moved there from Pa. and absolutely loves it.

The other day, while it was about 8º here, he told me he was going to the beach in shorts and a tee to read a book. [​IMG]

17. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

My parents just moved down there and love it.

18. Joe Wilmore

Joe Wilmore Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, thanks for all of the suggestions. South Florida sounds like it might be the place to go. I do not own a house here, which is one of the main reasons I want to move. I will be moving the business with me, but it may or may not work out, which means I may have to get another job in sales. The girls here are definitely amazing, but it is a small town, and if you meet a new girl, chances are you or one of your friends has gotten together with her, or one of her friends. What are some good towns in Florida?

19. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

You can move to Albuquerque. . .cheap houses, warm weather. . .but no beach and maybe not that hot chicks (I don't know, I'm female).

20. Greg Morse

Greg Morse Stunt Coordinator

Austin. Warm weather, hot chicks, some good restaurants, great party scene and your dollar will go a lot further than CA.