What's new

Where to have our Media Room (1 Viewer)

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
media room.

[I inadvertently posted this before finishing the topic and I cannot figure out how to cancel the post or modify the topic]

We just bought a house whose former owners left in not quite peak condition. So, I will be painting a bunch of rooms before we move in. My wife asked me what color we should paint the walls in our "media" room. We haven't yet decided which room to make our media room --

a "family" room extended from the kitchen with a fireplace and windows on the south wall but no objectionable sunlight since there's a screened porch outside one window and shrubbery outside the other. The TV would have to be on the west side of the room. The floor of the family room part is carpeted. The kitchen floor is wood. The wall behind the TV is a blah gray which does not inspire either my wife or me.

The following pictures were taken when we were looking at the house before making an offer.

FamilyRm1.JPG

FamilyRm2.JPG

FamilyRm3.JPG

the former living room with window on the north wall opening on the (short) front porch. The east side of the room is all wall and would accommodate our TV (60" plasma), front speakers, equipment cabinet and probably some other stuff. The opposite wall would accommodate a couch or chairs but the stairs to the second floor are behind it and are visible for about 7 or 8 feet so there is limited room for stuff that sticks up high. The south wall of the room has the entrance to the dining room with two wall area of approximately 33" on either side and an entrance to the dining room of 6 or 7 feet. The north wall has windows facing the front of the house but would accommodate something that is two to three feet high. On the west wall beside the stairs is an opening to the entrance hall and the front door. The floor is wood. The walls are green

LivingRoom2.JPG

LivingRoom1.JPG

The family room is bigger but we were considering making it into a library since it would more easily accommodate our massive book collection (and it's convenient to the living room so I could keep several shelves of DVDs and Blu-Rays along with my various movie books).

So the questions are: what color should the wall behind the TV be AND which room should I choose?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'd leave the large room as the library.

Any dark robust color works. Like a deep red. Or chocolate brown. Slate colors(beige, grey or tan) should never be used.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
While this isn't an answer to your question, I have a suggestion to consider. Have you thought of making the library the medial room. While this isn't something I've seen, the idea has some merit. Walls lined with book shelves would provide an irregular surface, that would tend to break up the wave front of sound, and decrease any echo. They would also tend to absorb sound and may have a secondary effect of decreasing sound transmission to the rest of the house. While having a movie going on in reduced light might be distracting to someone trying to read, if this isn't a problem, the idea might be worth considering.

In any event, out of all the home theaters I've seen, I haven't seen one like this. It would be unique, in its own way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks