Where to go from here?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron E. Smith, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Aaron E. Smith

Aaron E. Smith Stunt Coordinator

Okay, I'm stuck and I'd like to throw my thoughts open to the gallery. I am thinking about upgrading my system in the next 6-18 months (a somewhat wide time frame, I know). My system currently is as follows:

Sony KP-53HS10

Monster Cable HTS3000

Panasonic DVD-RV80

Pioneer CLD-D702

Lexicon DC-1

Adcom GFA-555s (200x2 WPC - Four amps total)

Vandersteen VCC-1

Vandersteen 3's (one pair)

Vandersteen 2ci's (two pairs)

SVS 16-46CS

Radio Shack Gold interconnects (audio and video)

Monster Cable speaker wiring (I don't have the model type in front of me, but it is a mid-level variety that--mostly it has four individual sets of strands for bi-wiring my Vandy 3's and 2ci's).

Whatever I upgrade to, I very much want DVD Audio. For that reason, I've ruled out the Lexicon MC-1. Also, I am keen on being able to maintain some sort of 7.1 processing. I'm not really sure what options there are out there besides Meridian (way too expensive) and Lexicon (their new processor is also too expensive).

DVD Audio, however, isn't the only consideration. I would really like to maximize this system as much as possible for both a music and HT experience. I'm currently working on a budget now, so I can't say for sure what I'll be able to afford, but I'd be very intersted to know where other people with the above equipment would head in terms of upgrading?

Thanks so much for any replies!

2. Aaron E. Smith

Anyone? C'mon, fantasize with me: what would you do to upgrade this system?

3. Aaron E. Smith

Okeedokee, since I hadn't gotten a reply to this before, let me pose a more specific question. In the setup that I am currently using I plan to keep with the Vandersteen line of speakers, but I am thinking of switching amps. It seems to me that the Adcoms don't really do justice to the Vandys (or perhaps they aren't a good match?). Anyway, I've considered the Aragons, the Integra 7-ch, and the new Lexicon amps by Crown. What would you think would make the best match for the Vandersteens? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

4. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Hi Aaron.
    You may want to check out the Integra RDC-7 http://www.integraresearch.com/ . They have a review on the web site as well. I saw a DRC-7 and RDA-7 on ebay yesterday. Something like half off. Used may not be the way you want to go but still......?
    I almost bought the Vandie 3A Signature speakers so I can appreciate your speakers. I went with the Revel F-30. I'm powering them with the Rotel 1090 two channel amp and also using the Rotel 1095 for the rest of my system. Rotel for the money is hard to beat. I've heard Vandersteen with the Rotel and it sounds very good. You may also think about adding a line cleaner to your system. I was using the Monster HTS-5000 and then added the VansEvers Model 85 Reference Line Cleaner http://www.vansevers.com/Conditioners/conditioners.html . It has turned out to be a very big improvement to my system.
    Hope this is of some help.

5. Aaron E. Smith

Hey Darrel,

Thanks so much for the reply. I am considering the Integra (although my plan to upgrade is still a few months off, so anything for sale now I'll likely miss). I wonder is there is anyone out there who has used the Integra with Vandersteens? Anyone?

I hadn't considered the Rotel amps, but I'll look into them. I was under the assumption (perhaps wrong) that the Rotel and Adcom stuff was roughly on par and that moving to Rotal would be a horizontal move--but I might well be wrong.

About the line conditioner, I am currently using the Monster Cable HTS3000, but after some time I have grown wary of Monster Cable stuff. It just feels like there are too many mixed reviews of their stuff and I haven't been terribly happy with the build quality of the stuff of their's that I own. The VansEvers stuff sound quite good though. I'm thinking either them, PS Audio, or BrickWall. Are you familiar with the other conditioners?

Anyway, anyone else want to chime in?