Where to go from here...amp-wise..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TommyL, Jan 6, 2003.

1. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Hi all...That upgraditis is calling after reading post after post[​IMG] I continue to here anthem avr20, aragon, and others....I cueently have a sr8200 Marantz receiver, and am wondering where I can go from here...can I build off it using any of the above(worth it) or is it best to sell off the 8200(great receiver BTW) and start fresh? I use this receiver primarily for HT, but occasionally listen to music. I think it sounds great, but then again, its the best I've heard in my neck of the woods...any thoughts would be appreciated...thanks much! tomL

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Tommy, the best approach would probably one of two things.

1) sell the Marantz and start fresh or...
    2) keep the Marantz and add an outboard amplifier.

I wouldn't buy a pre/pro and hook it up to the Marantz...that's the last thing I would do. I think you will hear a great improvement if you take away the responsibility from the Marantz of driving your speakers and just use it as a dedicated processor. That way, when you want to upgrade down the line, you will already have the amp and can then get the external processor (Anthem/Aragon, etc). Processor technology gets outdated much quicker than amp technology so keeping your present reciever and adding a 5 channel amp would be my first step followed by the separate processor down the road a bit.

3. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Great, thanks for the response! Would adding a external amp really make things sound better in HT? I think they sound good, but all this buzz about external amps has me thinking[​IMG] I'd like to bump up to the anthem avr20, so which amp would I look at for my cueent config with the marantz?(mca line, or the pva7, though I don't use 7.1) darn, wise I'd have caught this thread a year ago[​IMG](smiles)...any other thoughts would be great! thanks much..tom

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

First of all it would help to know why you want to upgrade in the first place? Do you feel your system is lacking in some regard? The reason I ask this is it would help to know your exact needs and what you hope to accomplish from this upgrade. The 8200 by itself is an excellent piece for HT and esp. music. So unless you are using power hungry speakers or listen at loud volumes the 8200 should serve you well for quite some time.

If you just want more power and better dynamics at higher volumes then an outboard amp would be the way to go. I would suggest starting out with a 2 channel amp in the 125W range. You might be able to find one for less than $400 used. Even the 2-ch amp would make a difference in HT (will most certainly do for music) as the 8200’s power supplies would be freed to handle the center and surrounds better. That’s the first step I would go into. Its cheap and it will get you one step ahead in the upgrade game.

5. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Thanks Yogi! I am looking to get into the upgrade game, and phase out my reciever...I am now wishing I would have waited a bit longer(4 months) and had a listen to the anthem series....Could I add the anthem pva7 to my system(would it clash with the 8200) and down the road add the anthem 20? Just want to get a start on upgrading....if this route is good...any other suggestions to amps? thanks again! tom

6. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

You can add the PVA7 but will have to remember that its slightly brighter and forward sounding than the considerably warm sounding Marantz. So if you like the way your Marantz sounds right now you might be in for a little surprise with the PVA7. You may feel initially that there are better details in the PVA7 but when you listen longer you might get fatigue. OTOH you may love the sound of PVA7. In any case you will find it sound remarkably different from your present system. In case you like warm laid back sound you might look into amps that lean towards the warm side like Rotel, Parasound and B&K. Marantz also makes separate amps (monoblocks as well as multichannel) that you might like. You want to eventually upgrade to the Anthem AVM20 but you dont have to go with their amps for best synergy. I think most of the AVM20 users here have theirs tied to amps from other manufacturers.

7. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Thanks Yogi...I just have that upgrade bug, and want to get going on separates. It seems as though the anthem20, and that amp are a perfect match for each other, and many have said that. I'd hate to steer away from that, as this could be my last good upgrade for a while[​IMG] (anthem and pva7) ....I would obviously listen before buying too[​IMG] ps..I am serious about this also, so your not wasting your time[​IMG] I would assume speakers like paradigm studio 80's-100, basically any decent and up free standing speaker would then have ample power to run it efficiently correct? thanks again for all your posts...I appreciate it very much! tom

8. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

9. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Thanks SO much Yogi...man...I must get going on this mess[​IMG] I have thought about making a trip to Canada(I live in MN) to have a look/buy the anthem setup if the price is right...I just wonder if they would deal hard if I bought everything at once(whole reference line: 100's, 20/40's for the rear) studio center, anthem avm20, and pca7 amp...I have a place a few miles away that has a simular setup, and am going to listen...I have a feeling it will be very good...Have you heard anything like this setup at all? I currently run some Jbl s26's i bought a while ago..along with a svs 2039pci sub...believe it or not, they sound pretty good for the price[​IMG] Would you think it would be a great overall improvement(paradigm/anthem combo) than what I have now...obviously price is a lot higher..but you get what you pay for[​IMG] thanks Yogi...I'll check back in a few[​IMG] tom

10. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I have heard a full Anthem setup but tied to Thiels and it sounded awsome. I have also listened to an all Paradigm setup but this time it was tied to Parasound and again sounded awsome. Never listened to an Anthem/Paradigm setup but I can imagine it sounding nothing less than spectacular. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you (and the $$$ to go along with it[​IMG]) Best of luck. In the end I am sure you will be blissfully happy.

11. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Thanks Yogi! I just wonder if upgrading to the studio 20's/40's and the anthem is going to be a lot better than my jbl s26's....gonna do some searches[​IMG] thanks again! tom