What's new

Where to go from a B&K Ref 30 (1 Viewer)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I paid $5,100 for the MC-12 and it was about 6 months old in perfect condition
That is one heckuva deal for the MC-12, which I believe retails for about $9k (uknbalanced).
Well done! I wish I could bring myself to spend that much for a processor; it would be a no-brainer for me.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
One other thing: a while back I remember reading a post from Tom Vodhanel (of SVS fame). He had an MC-1, and traded it in for the MC-12. In commenting on the performance differences, he said something like (and I'm paraphrasing here) "the MC-1 has 99% of the sonic qualities of the MC-12." Just food for thought...

Bob Santos

Agent
Thanks for the replies guy's.
I sold my Reference 30 tonight, so switching processors is no longer a thought, it's a reality. All I have read, and heard about the MC-1 leads me to believe it's the processor for me ( for now :) ). If time permits this week I will try to get out and listen to some of the other choices, but with the great reputation the Lex has for it's HT performance I think it is worth a try. HT is by far the most important aspect to me. I do listen to 2ch occasionaly,
but it's not real at all a priority. So now I need to try to search out a good deal on a Lex.
If anyone has any leads on a good place to get one it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for all your help

Jason Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,

If you dont mind me asking,what avenue did you take to sell your Ref30? Was it an easy sale? Did you get what you wanted? The reason I am asking is that I have thought of selling mine. I dont know why, as I have no problems with performance,but the thought has crossed my mind. I am thinking maybe Theta or......

Jason

JackIR

Stunt Coordinator
Scott C,

Yes , i did get a very good price on the MC-12. It was more than what I really wanted to spend but it was such a good price that if i didn't buy i would be kicking myself later on.

Bob Santos,

Wow, you sold the Ref 30 fast! Can you let us know what you sold it for and where?

Bob Santos

Agent
Yeah..... It did sell fast. I wasnt planning on that.

I listed it on audiogon. I put it up asking $1800.00 obo.

I had a few people offer $1700.00 imediately. I probably could have held out for the $1800 and got it, but I took the $1700. I figure in the grand scheme of things $100 isnt much. Mine has a Silver faceplate, which you hardly ever see for sale. I think thats why it sold so fast.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Here is Bob's Ref 30
Link Removed
Nice, I want the silver face for my 30
Sorry BoB, You posted the info at the same time as me.

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Bob,

It took me 3 days to sell my Ref 30 I sold it for $1750.I picked up my Lex MC-1 for $2,200 plus shipping.If you look you should be able to pick one up for $2,000 to $2,300 range and that is a great deal for a $6,000 pre/pro when they were first released.Like Ricky T. told me just do it and I'm glad I did.

Steve M.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
I'm trying to get an idea of what pre-pro's would be just a latteral move from the ref30 and which would be an obvious improvement in most respects...

DAC's would be imporant ,pre-out driver section , etc.(anything that would bear on musicality...

I know that many units don't have the bass mngmnt, notch filtering capabilities (please let me know which one's do)or flexibility of presets,but pure direct in stereo and 6- channel-external-in would be a must...

I have hears the "this one is better in stereo but not as good in multi-channel" arguements, but both are important to me, so I am concerned with sound quality not pertaining to upgadeable DSP programs(ie; DPLII, Logic7,circle-jerk, etc).....

Can we get a consensus on what would be an apples to CAVIAR move rather than an apples to oranges move?

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Well if you want caviar, try the Theta Casablanca, EAD TheaterMaster, Krell HTS2 7.1, Classe SSP-75. Take a step down and you have the TagMcLaren AV32R(bp192), Integra Research RDC-7, the new Aragon Stage One, the old Soundstage...all are obvious improvements over the Ref 30.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Most already on my list, although the EAD I am not very familiar with and the Integra I was not very impressed with,

anyone else?

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Most people I read about put the EAD well above the Integra or TagMcLaren. I've also read in quite a few places that put the TagMcLaren AV23R's stereo music reproduction to be better than the Integra's, even though Integra has analog bypass and the basic AV32R doesn't(the new bp192 upgrade does though)

Personally I have a basic AV32R and I've always been impressed with all aspects of its stereo music reproduction.

JackIR

Stunt Coordinator
I just sold my B&K 7270 for a used EAD Powermaster 2000. This is thre finest amp i have ever owned.I've listened to many of the high end amps, and the EAD is superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks