Where to get textured finishes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lorenzo, Mar 2, 2003.

1. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

I'm building a sub and I want to finish it to look like the SVS or HSU box subs. Is it just textured spray paint? If so, what kind should I get? Thanks.

2. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

If you were in Canada I would say check out Canadian Tire for truck bed liner spray. From what I can tell of the SVS picks it would look quite similar. Down there if you know who would sells car paint you can probably find it there.

3. David-S

David-S Second Unit

4. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

I was thinking about doing a hammered metal look finish that comes in a spray can as well, which I found at Home depot. Now I'm second guessing myself and considering the truck bed liner as well. Is the application process for this more forgiving than the hammered metal? (which I would have to do one side at a time for a period of about a week)

5. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I started the above link and I did end up doing both the Hammer AND the bed liner. I really like the bed liner better in more than one way. Its easier to put on, it seems tougher, and most importantly it looks better. I had a hard time getting the Hammer to coat in an even fashion even when spraying on horizontal surfaces only. I suggest the bed liner (Dupli-color from Wal-mart). When spraying make sure to do MANY thin coats and not one thick one like the Hammer. I quickly learned that it was best to just "mist" the bed liner on the surface. I held it a good distance (12"+) from the surface and sort of misted it one in many thin layers. You can do all sides one once; not just the top horizontal. You can recoat in 5 minutes! It builds up fairly quickly and leaves that black tough texture. You don't really want to paint it on like you normally would with reg. spray paint. My final result looks exactly like the SVS subs and HSU's. One other thing- the Hammer black is more like a gray metallic color and far from deep black. I can post some pics for you Wed if you still haven't started by then. Hope this helps...

6. David-S

David-S Second Unit

I would appreciate your pics, as I'm having trouble deciding as well...

Question: Does the bed liner feel "rubbery" or "plasticy" at all? I want a fairly hard finish, and am not sure the bed liner would cut it... [​IMG]

7. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

Its not rock hard- yet not very pliable. You can't really dig it out with your fingernail. I think it's perfect as far as texture goes. A hard bump against a door or corner will not leave a dent- and it definately will not scratch. It seems perfect for a sub. If your worried about it you could always put 3-5 coats of a polyurethane on it- however I doubt it would add much if any extra protection.

I'm out of town visiting relatives and I can't seem to get my USB driver installed for my digi-cam. If I can figure it out I will post some pics soon. Otherwise I'll get you some pics Wed. for sure.
    Here's a link to my Hammer box. At least you can look through some of those. I'm doing my bed liner box as we speak (monday).

BTW- I put 4 coats of Poly-crylic semi-gloss over the Hammer. I will not put anything over the bed liner.

DIY tempest

8. Matt D K

Matt D K Stunt Coordinator

Spray with Flek-stone (or similiar). Then (after dried throughly) spray with a good quality satin black paint. You can then apply a clear coat if desired,

9. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the link.

I think I'll go with truck bed liner. The look of the hammer finish isn't at all what I'm going for. It doesn't look anything like the SVS or HSU boxes. Kyle, I'll be waiting for the pics of your sub when you're done. It sounds like that's the route I'll be taking. I checked out all of the textured and stone finishes today at Home Depot, none of them appealed to me.

10. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Kyle, thanks a lot. I'll Definetely have a look at your pictures when you get a chance to put them up. I won't be starting to finish mine until the weekend at least. I'll probably end up going with the bed liner, since I'd like to also complete the project on the weekend. My one concern is that if the finish is still a little tacky (after it dries - sort of rubbery?) it will collect dust like crazy... which could be remedied with a clearcoat if the liner will take it well.

11. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Hey, I just had a thought... do you still have to prime with the bed liner spray? Or can you just go to town with the spray?