Where to get Paradigm?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Fitzsimmons, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

I'm in the United States, Ohio more specifically, and do not have any dealers near me that carry Paradigm that I know of. Where can I get my hands on some Paradigm stuff?

2. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

3. Mark Fitzsimmons

Thanks, didn't know that was there. But it looks like I'll be driving a little over an hour to go audition Paradigms.

Heck, isn't the price alot cheaper in Canada? I can get to Toronto in 7 hours. Blah, its probably not worth the trip.

4. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Depends what you're buying. You could easily save a grand on Paradigm speakers in Canada if you are buying a Paradigm Reference setup. Only problem is that you need to know you will buy them before you spend that much time driving. If it's 7 hours each way though, that's a wicked drive...

5. Mark Fitzsimmons

Physically I'm close, its just I have to drive around lake Erie.

6. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

Hmm--that's tough. Does Paradigm make a sealed sub enclosure? You could float on that and paddle your way back. [​IMG]

7. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

(7hr)x(70mi/hr)x(1gal/30mi)x($1.40/gal)x(2)
    =$45.73/round-trip
    Not bad for saving a few hundred $ on the speakers. Of course I've erred on the side of cheap on each thing... [​IMG]

8. MikePeroni

MikePeroni Stunt Coordinator

Mark, come up through Detroit and cross the border at the Detroit/Windsor bridge. I went with the Energy take 5.2 (also Canadian made). In the metro Detroit area it was $800 to $900. Got it for $550.00 in Windsor. 'Livewire audio' in Windsor carries Paradigm...trust me its easy and worth the drive to save hundreds. The 6% Molson at the duty free shops aint bad either![​IMG] Also, bring your birth certificate.

9. Matt_Sulli

Matt_Sulli Agent

i didn't realize you could save that much buying paradigm speakers in canada, looks like its time for a road trip around lake ontario.

10. Bobby_N

Bobby_N Agent

Wooooo...wonder how much a set of Studio 100's would be in Canada? Hmmmmmmmm......

11. Ken Hoyme

Ken Hoyme Extra

Bobby,

From my research, Studio/100's list in Canada for $2400CDN in laminate, $3000CDN for veneer. Current exchange rate is about 63cents to the dollar, making the lists about $1500US for laminate and $1900US for the veneer. Looks like about $500-600US cheaper per pair at list.

If you can get a dealer to cut a bit (particularly likely if you buy a set of speakers) it would be cheaper.

The challange is getting them shipped. Canadian dealers aren't supposed to ship to US addresses as it undercuts the US dealer network.

Ken

12. Matt_Sulli

Matt_Sulli Agent

ken, paradigm dealers aren't supposed to ship the speakers period, I overheard my local shop in NY telling a customer from ohio that he had to find a shop around him, and they could only ship if there wasn't a paradigm dealer near him.

as for getting them in canada, wouldn't bringing them across the border be a problem? and how would i go about it

13. Ken Hoyme

Ken Hoyme Extra

Matt,

One word -- NAFTA. (Well- five words, one acronym :b )

Canadian manufactured goods, bought in Canada can be brought into the US without tarrif. Plus, you get refunded the state and national taxes (I believe you cen get the national refund at the border, the state one may need to be sent in by mail.

Bring your US ID (passport or birth certificate), stop at the border and show your receipts.

Ken

14. Matt_Sulli

Matt_Sulli Agent

and i thought nafta wasn't good for anything. looks like i'll be driving up to canada once schools over to pick up some studio 60's and cc

15. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I can personally attest to saving over $3000 buying most of my gear in Canada. Not only that, but as long as you are buying Canadian made stuff in Canada, you can transport back across the border any dollar amount of gear. I've made two trips north and both times I've carried over about 5 grand worth of stuff and nobody at the border has said didly squat! You should be all set. It's well worth the trip. For me, it's 5 hours up, 5 hours back and I would do it again for that kind of savings.[​IMG]

16. Matt_Sulli

Matt_Sulli Agent

for me its only 2-3 hours each way depending on how close to the border i can find a shop, will be even less if Roch and toronto finally decide to build the damn ferry

17. tommy_esq

tommy_esq Stunt Coordinator

I was thinking of putting together the following system:

1 pair Titans (fronts)

1 pair Atoms (rears)

CC170

PDR10

Retail in the US is about $950.

I have the option to purchase locally at a dealer here in town for probably a relatively small discount (maybe 10%?). OR I could make the trip across the border to Windsor to the dealer there. Do you all think it is worth the trip? Or am I not likely to save all that much because I am not really buying the more expensive items (i.e. Studios or Reference)?

18. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Tommy, you will still save the same PERCENTAGE, but obviously that's fewer gross dollars because you aren't buying the reference series.
    What I would do is find out the Canadian Retail price of the Paradigms you are looking for (do a search here and you can probably come up with the numbers). Then take about 15% off, factoring any dealer discount and multiply that number by the exchange rate of .629 and find out how much you'll save. Then, you can decide if it's worth it.
    I bet you will find out that it is.[​IMG]