What's new

Where to get Maple Laminated Panels? (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Surprisingly my lumber store that I get all the good stuff from in my area doesnt have maple panels larger than 15" wide. I asked if they could laminate several thinner panels together for a 18 x 22 piece i need. No go. They have oak and poplar laminated panels premade but no maple. Only thing they had that was close was finished butcher blocks:

http://www.mapleblock.com/detail/maple-countertops-25/

I dont however need 1 1/2" thick and dont want to spend $80 for that small of a piece.

It seems these are rare which shocks me as I see furniture built with these all the time.

Anyone know where I can get a 3/4" thick maple panel 22" x 17"?

If not, how dificult is it to make one and clamp, plane, sand it myself?

Steve Rabbit

Agent
southern lumber in san jose has the plywood, as does aura hardwood off phelan (also san jose).

quite frankly, home depot has maple ply as well.

does it need to be solid maple? and the next question becomes why?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Southern Lumber is where I usually go to get this stuff. However they dont have maple panels.

I wanted to use solid as it will be a tabletop for the sub. I'm using a chamfer bit on the edge so ply and banding wouldn't work. Solid edge would work but would add seams on top and I dont have the kind of skill to make it look perfect. I found it so strange that nobody stocked maple panels.

I found a local cabinet shop that made it for me for $35 which I thought was fair since southern lumber was selling 18x36 in oak for the same.

Is maple harder to come by or usually more expensive than others?

GR Sub is nearly done. I just have to stain and poly and add the guts. Oh, and do the resistor mod on the amp. Should be done this week or weekend if rain holds up.

Steve Rabbit

Agent
good question. bummer things werent able to work out, I see now why you wanted one of the three maple countertops they sell.

I have no idea why maple has different supply/demand characteristics than oak. I would think they would be the same as well!

Check this site out, I was impressed with his talent: http://www.wmeckle.com/

Jason Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
My guess is that the reason you don't see maple panels much is that most places that would use maple panels make them themselves.

If you were going to make your own maple panels you might as well just use solid edging on ply, it probably wouldn't be any more difficult.

Steve Rabbit

Agent
all I have is an innacurate table saw (10" craftsman) and a home made router table (fixed base) and I was pretty easily able to add solid oak trim to veneer MDF with wonderful results.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks