What's new

Where to get MacOS 10.1? (1 Viewer)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Do you already have OSX 10.0? If so, 10.1 is a free upgrade. If not, I haven't seen OS X for less than it's origional price of $90. But then again, I haven't been looking. Check www.dealmac.com

MikeM

Screenwriter
Christian, if you already have 10.0 installed, go under "System Preferences > Software Update" to get the latest system files.

Depending on what computer you have, and what version of the MacOS you're currently running, you may be entitled to a "free" upgrade via their Now Up To Date program. The reason "free" is in quotes, is because they charge $19.95 for shipping/handling.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Don, Mike,

No, I don't have 10.0, running 9.2.2 right now, and was trying to find 10.1 as inexpensively as possible... also, doesn't 10.1 come with more/newer apps than 10.0?

If there is a cheap way to go to 10.0 (and update to 10.1 somehow after), then I'd like to know about that, too.

Thanks for any information,

-Christian

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Yes, Apple messed up by including a way to install OS 10 from the 10.1 upgrade CD (an unauthorized hack, obviously). Those CDs are a hot item on eBay nowadays; I'd check there. I remember CompUSA was giving them away for a penny a couple months back, but they're all gone now.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen it for less than $100, unless you buy it bundled with other software.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Christian,
Mac OS X comes with OS 9.2 so you could sell your current OS 9 copy to recoup a little money that way.
If you are a student, or maybe if you know a student :) , its available for $69 via their education pricing deal.
-Keith

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Masood,
What I meant was a cheap place to get 10.0 (maybe a clearance) and then get the 10.1 upgrade CD somehow. I did not know that you can get a full install of the upgrade CD, and it's also not what I want (I'd feel comfortable doing some hacking, I am just not inclined on doing so ;)).
If someone has a resource where to get the full version of 10.1 for under $100 outside of California, then that would be a good starting point (outside of CA because paying taxes and shipping basically negates any savings).
Thanks guys and Pamela ;),
-Christian

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Well, the only place I've seen it under $100 (unless bought in a package deal) is at Outpost.com but it's in CA. Maybe you should check eBay, though I'm not fond of looking for software there because piracy is common.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Christian, if you're running 9.2, then you may qualify for a "free" upgrade from Apple as I described above. (Which is $19.95 for s/h.)

You may need the Software Coupon for Mac OS 9.0 which is a "Proof-of-Purchase" coupon. I have an extra one if you need it. Just call up Apple and say that you have this coupon and that you wanted a free upgrade to Mac OSX via their "Up-To-Date" program, and that you know the shipping/handling on this is $19.95.

If they ask you to actually produce the coupon and mail it in, i'll send you the extra one I have. Let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks