What's new

Where to get FLAC files? (1 Viewer)

ShiftyMiata

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin Bailey
Hello! This will be short. Im new to the FLAC scene, and I've always wondered where people got FLAC files. Everywhere I've checked is just some Chinese scam site. Is there a reliable source? Thanks.

~Justin

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Same as David - when I've purchased flacs I've used hdtracks; but usually I just rip my CDs.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Flac can handle a higher sampling frequency than CDs provide. But there's no loss of detail when you compress (convert to flac), so I use them to store all my music on my NAS; plus, flacs relatively small so I can load up portable devices when I need to.

While I heard a difference when I purchased the HD music, it wasn't worth the cost. And to be honest, I couldn't tell if what I heard was more detail from the original source, or a them cracking up the transfer. To be fair, my ears are well into middle age, so younger ears may discern more. Best way to find out is spurge (~$20) on a copy of a favorite CD you know by heart and compare.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Adding to Al's answer- If you convert your CD's to FLAC there is no loss of quality (assuming you properly rip the tracks using a decent cd drive). You could later use the files to create a new CD or use them to create a custom CD.

I no longer carry my CDs with me in the car. I just plug in my phone or listen off of a USB or SD Media card. The sound is identical and my CDs no longer get lost, scratched, or melted. :D

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
There are pieces of software like dBPowerAmp that make ripping your discs to FLAC very easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks