1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Where to get component video switch?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Anyone know where I can find some sort of switchbox that'll allow me to switch between component inputs?
    My problem is this: My Toshiba has 2 component inputs. I have a DVD, HD Cablebox, and a Playstation2. I would like to hook all three up via component. But, I can't seem to find a box anywhere. Except this one which is a little pricey for my tastes... and a little more than I need.
    Is there a reasonable priced switchbox out there?
    Here's an idea... what if I just used 3 y-adapters and fed the DVD and PS2 into the same input? I wouldn't be using both at the same time. Does anyone see any hazards with hooking up this way?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Dave.
    Your "Y" adaptor will not work. Video signals are very sensitive to something called Cable Impedence. A "Y" adaptor will mess this up. (This is why all video cables must be made with 75 ohm coax).
    This thread on Inexpensive HD Switching offers several suggestions, but the good solutions are in the $150-200 range. (But this is better than buying a new receiver.)
    You need to keep in mind the maximum frequency for these types of signals:
    Component Video: 4 Mhz
    Progressive Video: 13 Mhz
    1080 HD Video: 35 Mhz
    This is why the HD Compatible switchers are a bit more expensive - more care had to be taken because of the higher frequencies.
    Some people have gotten away with the $40 Radio Shack switcher. They use the 4-source Left/Right/Video for the component cables and say they get good results. It would be worth a try since Radio Shack has a good return policy (or did).

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Thanks, Bob. I do plan on buying a new receiver someday down the road. Perhaps I'll just settle for the composite jacks on the PS2 for now.

I've never really understood the whole cable impedance/video signal issue. But.. that belongs in another thread.

Thanks again.

4. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

hey dave get the Radio shaq (lol) 2in 1out Composite switch. I use it for my PS2(looks great at 480p)and Directv Sat. It works great for me.

Also Walmart has a RCA Composite video switch.. 4in 1out I use that in my living room with the DVD (480p) and Xbox(480p) and once again it looks great!!! No degradation from what I can tell........
    They both run about 20.00.

5. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

I've been running the Inday one for a few months now without a hitch. Much better visuals from my Xbox now than when I was running through a compostie RS switcher (PS2 and GC look the same).

6. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

This evening I hooked up my Xbox, GameCube and PS2 (all running component cables) through a HipGear A/V switchbox I got for $14.99 at CompUSA. I'm not an expert by any means, but they all look superb through the component input of my Mits 46807, with no signal degredation that I can tell.

7. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest