Where to get Center-Mounted brake LEDs for '96 Honda Civic

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    My sister has a '96 Civic EX 2-door hatchback and she failed inspecition cause her center mounted brake light on her aftermarket spoiler is dead. Little did we know that the dealer used a supposedly "aftermarket spoiler" so my rec. on going to a car store or a dealer was futile. She's not near her dealer that she bought the car though. I thought I'd try to find a source for it. Basically, it's a thin series of LEDs held to the underside of the spoiler by 4 philips head screws. I took them off to look at it over the past weekend. It has the name "top runners" engraved into it and it has a red/black wire that runs from the center of the unit to the passengerside and is spliced into the +/- coming from the car to the CM brake light inside the rear windshield. Anybody know this brand? I tried to do a Google search but nothing's coming up.

Anybody recognize this brand and where I could get a replacement. The other option was to unscrew the spoiler, hook up the original CM brake light and then she should pass inspection.

Jay

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

have you checked on ebay? the LED's from the OEM spoiler might just fit, especially if it's a factory look-a-like.

ricers love to get ride of the red LED's and put in clear, so you might find some on ebay, or if you look around on ebay for spoilers you might find someone selling the same brand of aftermarket, or look at some online places that sell spoilers and bodykits and stuff, I bet one will turn up.

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

LEDs seldom fail; have you tested it to make sure it's the LED array and not the wiring? If you can remove the array from the spoiler it might be fixable, it's probably just a loose or broken wire.

If it is the LED array and it's not fixable, take it off the car and hook up the original brake light, at least to get through inspection. Then there's no rush in replacing it.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Kevin P, Something internal to the LEDs is bad, perhaps from water that might have gotten in, but I told her along time ago that the LEDs were dying cause she had about 3 out of about 20 LEDs that were working, now it looks like the last 3 died and it's out completely. I actually played with the crimp a bit and it looks OK to the eye. The problem with my sister is that she lives by the beach which mean the salty air gets into everything, her bike, her car, etc..

Jay