What's new

where to get a widescreen tv in Glasgow? (1 Viewer)

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
The wife and I are moving to Scotland and I want to know where to get a widescreen tv (preferably European make, or made in the UK if possible)...I want something like a 90cm tube display (no projectors, equivalent to 32") and I'd prefer an independent store or a local (Scottish or UK) chain if independents don't really exist. I checked out Scottish Power while I was there which looked cool, but I understand they're cutting back and likely selling off their retail stores.
I'll probably end up buying my DVD player from www.regionfreedvd.com but need to know where to get TV, receiver, and speakers...any help is appreciated.
------------------
--
Sean Aaron
UNIX System Administrator
UCOP

Howard_Horton

Auditioning
Can't help where stores in Scotland are concerned, but you could consider oderering on-line from one of these:
http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/index.html - Multi region DVD supplier with VCR mode and RCE compatability.
http://www.qed-uk.com/cgi-bin/q - Electrical goods supplier with prices that are too cheap to believe!
http://www.richersounds.com/ - Cheap Hi-Fi retailer, mainly deal in out-going models.
A mate of mine recently purchased a full DD 5.1/DTS capable 36" Wide Hitachi TV from QED and it's remarkably good for an all in one system. They delivered in 3 days, he was very pleased with the service and it was £600 below RRP.
For the receiver, Richer sounds cuurently have the Sony STRDB940 on offer at £300 (was £500). It's the replacement model for my receiver (STRDB930) which I'm very impressed with. Another mate bought one at the week-end and is over the moon with it. It's an out-going model, but then that's reflected in the price. The only thing it doesn't do is 6.1, but then who can find room for a rear centre speaker anyway!
Check out this site for hardware reviews:
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/index.html
E-mail me for any further info.
------------------
H

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Sean, when you get your DVD player, be sure to get one that allows you to select the region code manualy via the remote, this will let you access some of those tricky Sony RCE discs should you encounter them, just a tip.
There are soooooooo many choices for widescreen sets here, some of the sites Howard listed should be of some help, but your're likely to enconter a lot of choice at mainstream electircal stores here like Dixons, Comet and so on, although you're still likely to fine the better deals inclusive of shipping online.
Dan (UK)

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
Sean,
There are plenty of places in Glasgow that you can get a widescreen TV.
I can point you in the direction of a few independents but by and large I tend to find that the major chains mentioned above - Currys, Dixons Scottish Power etc tend to have the better choice and more often than not better deals than the independents.
Richer Sounds is down near Central Station on Jamaica Street and you can pick up a Region Free DVD player which will handle RCE encoded disks no problem from them at a good price - forget their web site though - I have never found it to be much help.
If you need any help then let me know.
Don

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
Thanks for all the advice...now I just need to note it!
------------------
--
Sean Aaron
UNIX System Administrator
UCOP

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah, and don't forget to pack your umbrella
biggrin.gif

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks