where to fix subwoofer in d c area

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Gralen, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Gralen

Gralen Stunt Coordinator

Hi This is the first post I have ever done on this forum. I enjoy reading all of your post and it has helped me a lot.. My question is where in the Washington D.C area you can get a sub woofer fixed? I have a Velodyne CT-100 that died on me . There is no power at all I checked all my connections and still no power to the sub. There is no way I blown the driver or the speaker because I have a little Yamaha 1200 which is 80 watts per. I called 2 places and one wanted to sell me a another sub wiith out looking at it. I even e-mailed Velodyne and had no response. The sub is only 4 years old and has been out for 9 months. Thanks for any help

2. John S

John S Producer

Just buy a new plate amp for it, and replace all the electronics. Somebody should post up a source for them. They aren't expensive. Or even find a good deal on an external amp, and provide a way to by-pass all the Velo electrnics. That would be my suggestion for it.

Probably cost less, and afford a nice performance gain with it as a bonus.

3. Gralen

Gralen Stunt Coordinator

Thanks John I think I will I'll look for one before I go to work tonight. There is a eletonic shop up the street from me but he only fixes T.V and radios But he should tell me if he can get me a amp

4. John S

John S Producer

There is a popular one here. I have no experience with it. When my friends subs go, we always just buy an extrenal amp and wire diectly to the speaker. The sub out on an AVR is already cross'd / filtered so no need for a second one in the sub.

5. Gralen

Gralen Stunt Coordinator

You know I have a old pro logic yamaha. Will that work?

6. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

First of all look for a fuse. It could be that simple.

I'd call Velodyne. Sometimes these support emailboxes don't get tended to very often. I had that happen with a M&K sub, no reply from the support email. Then a M&K rep showed up over at AVS forums, and he personally handled the return/repair of my sub.

Velodyne is a reputable company, give them another chance.

7. Gralen

Gralen Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for the fuse now but I dont see it. I may have to call them. I hate to give up on the sub . It was very good. May have to take it to circuit city where I got it. A friend of mine told me about a bad experience he had taking his amp to get fixed. that would be my last resort

8. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

If you do have to resort to getting it fixed, I highly recommend The Speaker Factory. It's run out of the owner's home in northern Montgomery County, so it's a bit of a hike for many DC area residents. It's worth it, though. Ray really knows his stuff, and will make your sub sound better than it did before.

Doug

9. Gralen

Gralen Stunt Coordinator

thanks both Doug and Elinor Will try both suggestion. Live only 15 minutes from Mont co line

10. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

I'm pretty sure I saw a fuse on mine (different make but yours might be similar) when I removed the amp plate from the sub.

Are there a series of screws holding the amp onto the rear?

You could try removing them and gently lifting the amp out. Usually it will be connected by a couple of cable harnesses. But you might be able to look for a fuse in a holder around the edge of the amp.

Good luck !!