1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to find "Locking" banana plugs?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JamesY, Apr 1, 2004.

1. JamesY

JamesY Stunt Coordinator

Rewiring my system, and considering finally getting some banana plugs for my receiver end. I need the locking kind though, where the tip spreads at the end. I've dealt with the standard ones before, and they often pop out when the receiver is moved, or rattle free. It doesn't help that my receiver is right next to my SVS.

I've looked online at various stores (partsexpress, accessories4less, radioshack), but have found nothing much, just regular ones. The only place I've found them is on EBay, either the ones sold by 'Nakamichi' or 'GLS Audio'. The prices are ok, as long as they aren't "boutique" expensive, but hard to tell if that Ebay stuff is a quality product. Looks aren't important, the best bang for the buck is what I'm looking for.

I'm also trying to decide if I need to use anything on the speaker end, whether spades, the same banana plugs, or just good ol' bare wire. Any info and suggestions? Thanks!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You must have missed these at Radio Shack. They aren’t designated as “locking,” but you can see by the picture that they are (i.e., the spread ends).

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I'm using the GLS locking ones, and they work very well.

They're on the right:

[​IMG]

4. JamesY

JamesY Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses. The 'shack ones don't look as sturdy as the GLS audio, and looks to spread into two halves vs. four. I'll check them out at my local store.

The GLS are actually cheaper. Nice to see someone else own these; do they sound "good"? In order words, notice any effect in the sound vs. other connectors, like the ones you have to the left? What equipment are they hooked up to?

I'll try to search around for anything else to compare these to, but thanks for the suggestions!

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I did not find any change in the sound vs bare wire or the Parts Express Dayton bananas on the left.

My processor is a Lexicon MC-8B attached via Audioquest balanced XLR's to an Adcom GFA-7807 amplifier. Speakers are Aurum Cantus all around (G2 ribbons, 5.25" driver).

6. john aprile

john aprile Agent

[​IMG]

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Most banana plugs, if too loose, can be spread by inserting a pocket knife into the slots and gently/slightly widening them, using trial and error.

If you can make good connections using just the bare ends of the wires, do so.

(Unless you need to undo and re-do the connections frequently such as for moving the equipment.)

When you use spade lugs or banana plugs, you still need the bare wire joint, at the back end of the spade or banana! The more unsoldered joints in the circuit, the more likely you will have oxidation and problems.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm