where to find info on bass guitars?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Seungsoo Hwang, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

Hey Im lookin to pick up a bass guitar and start learning how to paly this summer and i wanted to look for some info and recommendations. Keep in mind im a poor college student so i wanted to spend something like 0~300 dollars on it... will that get me an ok one? I really have no idea on any of this stuff and any info/direction would be great.

thanks

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

You can get a Mexican made Fender in that range, which isn't a bad guitar. A Jazz bass is probably easier to start on than a Precision as it has a thinner neck. Whether it's right for you depends on what kind of music you want to play, but that isn't a bad place to start. A good bass can be pretty expensive, and I'd avoid anything cheap unless you know what you are buying.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

An even better resource than Harmony Central is www.talkbass.com . You're going to need a bass, a practice amp, a cable, a tuner, and a strap. You can get all this for about $300 new. I'd recommend one of the little "starter kits" you can find at most music stores. Yamaha, Squer, Ibanez, and others make these kits. A lot of the talkbass regulars will diss this kind of kit and come up with better suggestions. Look on the talkbass site there are lots of threads that can answer your qurestions.

5. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the info guys

(im sure ill find this on the forums but whats the difference between a jazz bass and a regular bass (besiudes the thinner neck?))

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

"Jazz Bass" is a brand name of a model that Fender introduced in the 60s. Previous to that, Fender's lone bass guitar model was the "Precision Bass" which was introduced in 1951 and went through one major redesign in 1956-7 I think. The "Jazz Bass" was distinguished by it's offset contour body and dual pickup arrangement that gave it a different variety of sounds than the "Precision Bass". The "Jazz" also had a thinner neck than the "Precision".

The current Fender "Jazz Bass" and "Precision Bass" models are very similar in construction and appearance to those classic models. There are many more options avaibale now, from entry level models made in Mexico to expensive custom built in the USA models like the "Jazz FT" models with expensive figured wood on the top of the body.