Where to find decent turntable needles/cartriges online

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joel Fontenot, May 1, 2002.

1. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    Hello,
    I recently dug out my old Fisher turntable from around 1980 (I think it's an MT-100, or something like that). I had been using it up until about 6 years ago, and even then I knew it was time for a new needle (been through about 5 prior to that over the years).
    Is there a good online site to buy a half decent needle/cartrige for this thing? I had found a few sites a few months ago, but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with getting them online - any sites I should avoid?
    It's a basic belt-driven, S-shaped tone arm w/ balance type.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated so that I might break out a few of my 500 albums and EP's I haven't heard in a while.[​IMG]
    Joel

2. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Joel,
    there are a couple of sites that I have been to to look at but I have NOT ordered from them so I cannot give any experience on that matter they are...
    www.needledoctor.com
    and
    www.elusivedisc.com
    give them a look...
    Miles
    and yes break out the Vinyl and rejoice [​IMG]

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joel, I have ordered CDs and SACDs from Elusive Disc, and their customer service is excellent. Try them out. In addition to the links that Miles provided, check out www.amusicdirect.com .

4. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Joel, here's another one. I have found their customer service to be excellent. They have a 30 day return policy also.
    www.audioadvisor.com

5. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    Thanks, I'll be checking these sites out.
    BTW, it's a Fisher MT-6310, purchased at a Sherwood Magnavox store as part of a complete Fisher component system by my parents when I was 15. That night, I sat down in front of one of the TV sets so that I wouldn't miss that night's episode of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.
    This turntable is the only surviving member of the setup that included a set of 3-way speakers, the receiver, a cassette tape deck and an 8-track tape deck (only because my mother's car had a 8-track tape player in it at the time).
    This store was also my first exposure to Laserdisc video a few years later. They used to demo Star Trek - The Motion Picture all the time there. It would be anothter 10 years before I got one myself.
    Joel

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joel, that's a great story. I remember Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century back around 1979-1980. I was just 9-10 years old. What a blast from the past. [​IMG]