Where to find dbx 224x owner's manual??

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by SteveSpoon, Mar 9, 2004.

1. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

Just bought a dbx 224x processor, but it didn't come with an owner's manual. Where can I find one? Thanks.

Steve

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    eBay's your best (probably only) bet.

What does the 224 do?

3. SteveSpoon

For us guys still recording onto cassettes, it a dbx unit to get rid of the hiss, make the tape sound better, etc. (for lack of any technical language!!). I have a dbx 222 (not as sophistacted as the 224x) and it works great!!
    Thanks.

Steve

4. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I bet if you went to a usenet group (rec.audio.misc, etc) and asked nicely someone might photocopy a manual for you and perhaps scan it and email it to you.

I have a dbx 140x type II which is a broadcast version of what you have and no owners manual.

Have you ever heard any dbx LP's? They can sound wonderful and if they're without ticks and pops (severe ones) can sound better than CD's.

The 222 didn't have the ability of simultaneous encode-decode for 3 head machines.

dbx type II worked well on recorders that were relatively low noise in the first place and on cassette decks with high bias or metal tape it wasn't bad. It had a tendency to breathe as the output level slid up and down with the program material.

Now try it on open reel machines at 7.5 ips or higher (preferablly 1/2 track machines) or on cassette decks at 3 3/4 ips and it can work wonders.

It could've been really nice on cassettes if the attack and release times could've been faster to avoid hearing the hiss framing transiets.

5. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Steve, does yours have the level indicators on the front of the unit? Or does it have pots that require a little screw driver.

My 140x requires the little screw driver.

6. SteveSpoon

Hey Scott:

This is the model that has the level indicators on the front. I am still not sure how to work it to its full potential, so for now am still using the dbx 222.

The 222 makes fantastic copies in conjuction with my Nak RX-505. Looking forward to finding a manual for the 224x........I love vintage stuff!!

Steve