What's new

where to find crimp style rca connectors? (1 Viewer)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'm thinking about making my own cables just for the hell of it. however, i cannot seem to find any affordable crimp style rca connectors. i've seen the wbt connectors that parts express carries but they're $25 each. i'm not really adept at soldering plus i'd rather not solder anyways. anybody have a clue? also, i don't want to use canare cabling so their rca connector is out of the question as well. thanks.

kevin t

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Go to your local RadioShack. The cheapest and easiest way to do it is to get their F-type crimp connectors and use the screw-on RCA connectors. I've used this combo for many interconnects before and they've worked very well--at least better than just about anything you can buy from Monster.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Kevin: you do realize that the problem with crimp-style connectors is that they make assumptions about the geometry of the coax you are using. This is why it's always good to buy the coax and matching connectors from the same company - they have usually been made to fit together.
My advice is to pick the coax you want to use, then look for a name-brand plug with a conversion table to tell you which part number matches that coax.
The $25 per plug is a bit silly. The high-end Canare plugs are only about $3.20 each.
Go/Call markertek (www.markertek.com) which sells cables & equipment to the broadcast/production industry. You will find lots of high-quality plugs from Amphenol, Neutrik, Switchcraft, etc for under $5 each. And they have crimp compatibility charts. The site is orriented to the professional market (which is BNC connector oriented), but dig and you will find the RCA plugs.
Good Luck.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
thanks for the suggestions everybody...please note though as i don't think i made it clear in my initial post:

i am not going to use coaxial cable to construct the cables.

kevin t

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well... that leaves only speaker wires. All the other cables carry line-level signals. Without coax, how are you going to protect the line-level signals?

Note: There is a separate "Wires and Interconnects" fourm for this specalized topic.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i intend to use some extra speaker wire i have laying around (ixos gamma 6003). bascially the cable will become a kimber kable pbj in effect. i'm not too worried about the signal right now as it's just a test and something to play around with. i'm well aware there is a separate area for interconnect and wire discussion which makes me wonder why ron or parker haven't removed the splits since 52% of the membership here voted against the split. then again, how can a majority rule in a dictatorship?

kevin t

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks