Where to find affordable audio interconnects online?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Shultzaberger, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

My Panny RP91 is due tomorrow and for the first time I will be introduced to DVD-A. I want to find some very nice but affordable RCA interconnects online or maybe local.
    I found the Gold Digital Series @ Radio Shack for $14.95 (6ft / ea.) They have an orange jacket.
    Then there are the AR's @ Parts Express for a little more in a 3ft pair. I have heard that these may dull the sound on some systems who have lots of airy highs. I use Klipsch so this would be me.
    There is Audio Quest but wow are they spendy. I've also checked Bettercables and Outlaw Audio and again very spendy. There is Monster but how do they compare to the AR's and to Radio Shack's Digital Gold series?
    It's hard (right now) to justify $150 - $200 in cables. Wife would never understand.
    Any ideas or recommendations?
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Shawn Shultzaberger

OK, has anyone heard of Apature? They make a cable called the "Black Beauty"? They are $28.99 @ www.accessories4less.com

3. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Outlaw Audio has a 3 pair set of their .5M cables for $79. Sounds like a good value.
    Of course, I'm more partial to Cat Cables. Their build quality and locking RCAs are peerless. You can get a 3 pair set of their .5M BlueTigers for $130, or a 3 pair set of their CopperCats for $115. May be out of your price range, but they really are outstanding.

4. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Check out http://www.audioadvisor.com you'll find all kinds of pricing on interconnects, from competitive pricing to the Rat Shack stuff to the kind that cost a small fortune.
    Andrew

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I'll second the CAT's... i use eight Blue Tigers from my SCD-C555ES multi channel SACD player with tremendous results. I love 'em! [​IMG]

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

since shawn asked for affordable, i'll assume the cat's are out... [​IMG]
    i recommend the rat-shack gold series or the AR series available at best-buy. they're inexpensive and work well.
    i'll give a slight edge to the AR wiring because i like their connectors better...not as tight as the rat-shack stuff.

7. Shawn Shultzaberger

I took the dive and went with the 3pr from Outlaw Audio for $125.00. Hopefully they are as good as Outlaw says they are.
    Fingers crossed! [​IMG]

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

125 bucks is affordable?!?! dang shawn...can i hang out with you? [​IMG]

9. Shawn Shultzaberger

HAHA! [​IMG] Not extremely affordable but about $.75 more per cable than the Radio Shack Digital Gold Series. It equates to about $20.33 +/- for each cable for 6 cables. RS Dig Golds were going for $19 and some change in my area. Couldn't find them any cheaper. Plus I want to see just how good these Outlaws are.
    I hope these sound good or the wife will killll me!

10. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

You might also look at what specials are on at Rhino.com. Last time I looked, I think they had a special that just might suit your needs.

11. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

I can attest to the Outlaw cables being top notch, I'm, very impressed![​IMG] The locking RCA's are great!
    James Elvick

12. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

For cheap yet decent performance I'd go with the Outlaw cables. The Catcables use tinned copper which is inferior for analog audio.The Outlaw cables use solid copper if my memory serves me. You could try Rhinocables.com but they use the rather expensive (but arguably superior) Belden 89259 cable (Bare copper with teflon insulation and jacket)

Just so I dont get flamed: catcables does make other cables which are much better than the tinned copper cables.

13. Shawn Shultzaberger

I wish Rhinocables offered an S-video connector. They look to be a pretty decent cable maker but a bit limited in the number of products offered.

Currently I have some cheapy S-vid's for my TV, DVDP and Sat. I'm hoping by replacing these I might see a slight improvement in pic quality. If only the TV would accept components *sigh*.

14. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

??? The only cable Cat makes that uses tinned copper is the Coppercat. I was recommending the BlueTigers first and foremost. They're made of pure OFC with an FEP(Teflon) insulator.
    http://www.catcables.com/bluetg.htm

15. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

JerryW,

Dont know why anyone would recomend a tinned copper cable for these prices! Outstanding performance from a tinned copper cable?? Hmmm...

coppercats $115 for 3 pairs 0.5m (tinned copper)

Blue tigers $130 for 3 pairs 0.5m (better performance)

Outlaws $79.95 for 3 pairs of 0.5m

I would go with the Outlaws if you are looking for decent affordable cables.

16. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Shawn,

Have you checked out the Catcables s-video cable the recipe looks impressive? Either them or the Bettercables offering.

I have a custom made s-video cable that comes pretty close to component so it is possible to get high performance from s-video.I think you would notice a big improvment by buying one of the above cables or a top retail cable like the Nordost.

17. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Mark, the BlueTigers aren't a tinned-copper cable.

And yes, the Quadcats (Catcables S-video cables) are nice, I've seen them in action and their picture quality is impressive.

18. Shawn Shultzaberger

Wow, those Catcables look great. Definitely interested in the quadcat S-video. So far they look to be the only place that offers 4 individual strands of coax for under $80 for 1 meter.
    Gotta go home and measure now. It's gonna be pricey for 3 cables. My wallet is taking quite the punishment. [​IMG]

19. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Shawn, drop Doug a line at Catcables. I'm sure he can work out a bit of a deal for 3 of them. He's pretty easy to work with.
    [email protected]

20. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

My only reservation with the Catcables s-video design is they do use 4 seperate wires. Most of the cable experts say that this is not a true 75 ohm design therefore you could have problems with some systems. Maybe question DougW at Catcables before purchasing and ask for clarification. If my memory serves me correctly he was questioned on this over at the cable asylum and he never clarified it.

I have a similar cutom made cable that uses 4 solid core Teflon insulated cables. While it looks fantastic ( gives top component cables a run for its money)I've also been told that it may not be true 75 ohm therefore its a hit or miss situation as to its high performance on all systems. It does work incredibly well with mine though so...