Where to find a good DVD Rack...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Shiu, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

My question would be the subject above. I'm wondering what is a reasonable dvd shelf/rack, where to get one, and how much should I expect to spend. I'm looking for something more along the lines of a shelf I guess, since I have box sets and whatnot which might not fit on the wire racks which only hold thin amaray dvd cases. Thanks for any help.

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I have a rack from Atlantic-inc that is adjustable and has no dividers, very much like the ones from Boltz, but these aren't metal looking.
    http://www.atlantic-inc.com/dvd_vhs.htm
    Specifically, look at the Penguin models. The dowels that go across are adjustable height wise so you can mix CDs, DVDs, box sets, etc. And they come with little dividers so if you wanted to separate say Science Fiction DVDs from Comedys, you can simply place a divider on the shelf.
    Boltz is another one which specializes in steel but they have similar design:
    http://www.boltz.com/multimedia/index.stm
    Jay

3. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

I purchased my DVD Storage Unit online from The Jungles. It is the MultiMedia Storage 1520. The product literature claims that it will hold 680 DVDs, but it actually holds more than that. I have 700 DVDs in it right now, and I estimate it will hold at least another 30.
    The unit comes with a total of 34 removable shelves. The dowel holes start 6" (152.4 mm) from the bottom of the entire unit and extended all the way up to 6" from the very top of the unit. The dowel holes are spaced 1.5" (38mm) apart. The shelves are all individually adjustable at 1.5" increments. The unit holds, on average, 28 DVDs per shelf (sometimes 27, sometimes 29 depending on the number of fat cases on that shelf). With the storage unit configured for maximum DVD space, there are a total of 26 shelves (not including the top).
    I purchased mine about 1 year ago. It sure filled up FAST! I've got another one on order with Spinkeeper.com (it's on sale for less than $200.00 + shipping).

4. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I have purchased 3 units from Boltz (1 unit and 2 expansion kits) and can say I have been extremely happy both with the products and their service. When I need additional storage for my DVD's & CD's this is where I will be going. The only down side is that there is some construction that will need to be done on your part for the expansion kits at least.

KyleS

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

If you like the look of genuine hardwood, furniture quality stuff, check out www.wood-tech.com. Great looking stuff there, with great build quality. I have two of their CD/DVD multipurpose racks. They look great.

7. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Check out this thread from the software archive. There's quite a few good suggestions in there.

8. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor