Where to find a cheap A/V rack? They are all SO expensive!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_H, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

I'm trying to find a rack for all of my various gear, instead of stacking them on top of my Toshiba 56H80 like I do now. Problem is, whenever I see places selling racks, they hold like 3-4 components tops, and cost ridiculous amounts...$500-600! C'mon! Why are they so expensive? They are just glorified shelves. Anyway, can somebody point me in the right direction to find a cheaper rack (or maybe 2) to hold all of my components and game systems?
    I know the best way would be to build it myself, but I don't have the know-how, nor the tools. I have a receiver, LD player, two DVD players, digital cable receiver, turntable, VCR, and a bunch of next-gen game systems that I need off the damn floor or top of my TV! [​IMG]

2. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

i share your frustration, jason.

if anyone knows of any good canadian sources for HT furniture, i'd be grateful if you could let me in on the secret...

thanks.

3. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

Me too..... But I broke down and bought a Salamander rack..

oh well

Mike

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

5. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Go to best buy. They have a excellent A/V rack for like $90. It comes in black and wood color finish. I have the black one. I was also looking for a inexpensive rack and finally found this one while searching around during the grand opening of the BB around here

6. Trace Ahlers

Trace Ahlers Stunt Coordinator

Try more creative ideas. I've been able to get display racks of various types and designs from grocery stores to store the equipment and DVD's. My DVD holder is an Aquafina bottled water rack that will hold 300 dvds. I got it for free. Also look at garage sales or thrift stores for racks or furniture that can be adapted. My living room system is held on a stainless steel wire, 4-shelf restaurant storage rack that I got on sale for 80 dollars at my local restaurant supply store. You don't have to be in the food business to shop in those places and most stores toss out the display racks. You'll be saving them money if you offer to take it off there hands.

Good luck and keep your eyes open.

Trace

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i just got a really nice one from Office Depot for $60. it's a printer stand but it's made of wood and looks really nice. has 3 fixed levels with an optional additional shelf. sorry i dont have a digital cam and i cant find it on their site, but just go shopping at BB and Office Depot and find something that works. i'm really happy with mine.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i bought my rack from costplus for like a 100 bucks. it's all metal, very sturdy and kinda stylish.

oh yeah...not sure if this works anymore, but when i worked at circuit city and good guys, the rack systems there usually had their own SKU and could be purchased separately.

if i remember correctly, they were totally cheap...like 50-75 bucks! i always thought they were decent looking. heck...i sure built enough of them working there.

9. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys! As a follow up, I found this site:
    www.soundcity.com
    It has a great selection of racks, including some nice looking ones for < $200.

10. Shane Acker

Shane Acker Agent

Try looking at Ikea if you have one in your area. I like the look of some their A/V racks and they are really cheap.

11. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Jason- Thanks for the link! I've been looking for an A/V rack for less than $200.00 for quite some time now. Gotta get some room made for when I get my receiver... [​IMG]

12. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

AudioAdvisor has Vantage Point Euro racks for $199. They look great, are sturdy as hell, expandable, and very easy to assemble. The Vantage Point Solus rack has nicer wood-grain shelves, uses the exact same hardware, and costs on $100 more. I have the 5 shelf version of the Solus, and I like it a lot.
    Good luck!
    Pete

13. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

You are welcome, Brian! I am still trying to decide what to get, and now that Shane mentioned Ikea, there is one just a few miles from me, so I need to go check it out. I've decided to try and get a cherry-finished rack...the black components will stand out much better against the wood finish and it will go well with my hardwood floors.

I've gone from not having a clue what to get to having WAY too many choices. Thanks guys! I don't know what I would do without forums like this!

14. Phong

Phong Agent

I bought a component rack from Ikea for about $90. A picture of it is here:
    http://mediaserver4.ikea.framfab.se/.../us/092_us.jpg
    It is the the one in the upper left corner, marked #1. It weighs a ton (so it will minimize vibrations), and looks quite sharp with all my components' red power lights through the smoked front glass. (Smoked front glass also reduces the ambient light created by LED screens.)

15. Sonny Sangemino

Check out IKEA!!!! Don't hold it against the SWEDES that their whole country can be assembled and disassembled with an allen Key.[​IMG] My Wife and I were trying to find a nice component rack and they were big $$$ and IKEA has stuff for modern, spartan Big and small check it out...if you don't see anything that suits ya I am sure your wife will find a couch or curtains and you are still the hero!
    Sonny[​IMG]

16. AlbertH

AlbertH Stunt Coordinator

check out my ultimate home theater in my sig. I have a tech craft rack, it costs 200 bucks and its made in canada!