What's new

where to buy? (1 Viewer)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Got a product in general you are looking for? I'd start there doing serches and price comparisons. Then ask about any particular dealer.

I have bought speakers or known of people that have bought them from scores of different internet dealers and been happy.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I meant specific makes and models.

Not sure how to tell you to proceed, except to come up with a few specific products that meet your needs, then price shop.

Don't discount many of the manufacturer direct sources that support / advertise on these forums.

Micheal Prater

Auditioning
With all due respect, I searched for a forum so I would be able to discuss my decitions and seek out advice. I am not very educated when it comes to this stuff so I came to learn. If I knew what I wanted down to the Brand name and the model numbers, why would I make a stop here?

So now, if anyone would like to help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Here is what I have and what I need. I have a Pioneer DVD 5 disc player with Dolby Digital 5.1 output. It has high level outputs (speaker wire) which is kind of strange because it does not have a rca out for a powered subwoofer. I have hooked it up to my cheap speakers and the digital sound is incredible on dvds. I would like to improve my speakers. I do not want to spend a fortune but would like to get a decent set for under 500 dollars. I would like a matched set, two fronts, a center, two rears and a passive sub. I would like the fronts and rears to be tower style. Can anyone recommend some website in which I could look at something like this. I tried crutchfield but all their systems have powered subs.This will not work for my application.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Sounds like you have one of those 'combo' units that integrates a DVD player into the receiver. If there's no subwoofer output, then it doesn't do true 5.1. No matter...

< $500 for the entire speaker bundle doesn't get you a whole lot, especially if you're expecting to get towers AND a sub. To be honest, that's not a lot of money to spend, but it is what it is. Don't expect 'mid-grade'.

If I had 5 cheese burning a hole in my pocket and wanted to outfit a full 5.1, I'd get a satellite/sub package from one of the online outfits, like Onix (av123.com) or Hsu. The Hsu will run you a shade over 5. I won't have the towers, but I'll have better quality components than if I opted for cheaper speakers just so I can have the tower form facter.

IF you REALLY want towers, then consider getting a good used pair or b-stock for just the mains first. Then build into your system as you go.

Is this for HT only? Do you listen to much music? If this is dedicated HT, then you can probably get away with building your system with bookshelves instead of towers, which will make it more cost effective (you can then put more dough into a quality sub).

Mike

John S

Senior HTF Member
I will only add that virtually any powered sub that has speaker connection (most of them do) would still work in this application.

I think the JBL SCS will probably be best for you given the additional informatin you have provided.

Do some serches. I found them for not to bad of a price on this link. I really do not know of any towers that come with passive matching subwoofers.

http://www.bass-home.com/subcategory_315.htm

MikeNg

Second Unit
Just for clarification, you can get a sub to 'work' in this fashion (by sending it a high-level signal), but it won't be the LFE that you would get for the .1 channel in a surround sound system. IMO, it's a compromise.

Some sub manufacturers are opting not to include this connection in some of their subs, so just be sure it is available when you make your purchase. For instance, the latest offering from SVS (PB10-ISD) only allows a line-level connection (RCA).

Hope this helps.

Mike

Rick TX

Auditioning
Yamaha makes reasonably good 5.1 package for around $500. My brother has it, and he says he's happy with the sound. Check out bestbuy for model numbers and then do a search on the web to find the best price. The only downside is that the Yama package has bookshelves and not towers.

I'd also check out Home Theater Direct on the web. You might be able to get a package with towers for around your budget.

Micheal Prater

Auditioning
I will have to get the model number of my reciever/dvd unit when I get home. It is a Pioneer, and it has Dolby digital plastered all over it. In fact, when I put in a dvd with digital on it, the display flips from pro logic to digital when it recognizes the disc. The sound is incredible. So I am positive the unit does true 5.1, since when is Pioneer liars?

I may just look into units with powered subs if it accepts speaker wire. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks