What's new

Where to buy used/cheap DVD's in Manhattan? (1 Viewer)

RaymondSteiner

Stunt Coordinator
hi, i'm planning to go next week to manhattan, and i was wondering if you know good places to buy used or cheap DVD's out there, thanks in advance for your comments

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
You could try Kim's Video at St. Marks Place in the East Village, as they have a good selection of obscure and hard to find as well as mainstream used titles.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
In New York City? Look for anybody on the street wearing a long coat in the middle of summer:

"Psst! Hey, buddy--wanna buy Wonder Woman Season 1? I got her actual golden bracelets here, too. I'll throw 'em in for free..."

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
sorry Jamie, that is gone goodbye...I wish it was still open since it used to be a mainstay in front of the yelling TRLers on MTV

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Richard,

What is the price range on used stuff. I'd like to take a run down there but not if the prices are going to be ridiculous.

Thanks,

Joe

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
On Richard's recommendation, I popped in to Kim's last night. A cool all 'round music & video place--I hadn't been there in years.The used DVD selection is fair, I'd say, most ca. $10 with some Criterions about half price. (Still not the used DVD 'El Dorado' I keep searching for!)

St Marks has other good used music stores, a good comic store, a good book store a block north . . . and I'm pretty sure you can get your nosed pierced 24 hours a day.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
The Tower Records store on 77th(?) isn't exactly used/cheap, but they often have good discounts and have LOTS of obscure and newly released stuff.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams

Actually, these days its people behind a car on a sidewalk, with poorly printed inkjet covers, with a sheet under them. ;)

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Exactly, Jason. They're pretty prevalent, too--I never see the cops giving them a hard time. And people buy that crap...

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Seriously. I know the MPAA has enough trouble catching people actually TAPING it in the theater (although with the new $500 reward, it's getting a lot easier to catch people ;) ), they should at least ATTEMPT to set an example on the streets.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
I'm not sure of the name of the place, but it is located on the north side of W.14th Street, just west of 6th Avenue (next to the bank). It has great prices on both new and used DVD's and Cd's. You can also check out DISCORAMA on W.4th Street, just 2 blocks east of 7th Avenue.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Unless it changed but wasn't Blockbuster doing the two for 20.00 on previously viewed video. I bought several of them from BB and thought that was quite reasonable.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Entertainment Outlet, also located on 40th St. just west of Fifth. There are almost always better prices on the internet or at Best Buy, especially during the week of release.

M.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
While were on the topic...does anyone know a good place that gives you money for used DVD's in NYC? I've tried J&R, but they only give you store credit! Bastards. :frowning:

Ben Silva

Stunt Coordinator
I was in NYC in July 2001 and went to Kim's. It was great I found a bunch of used Laserdiscs and some cool DVDs. Hopefully, I'll get back there one of these days.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
OK, that's twice now that I've had to delete posts from this thread for violating the HTF Rules by identifying a vendor that breaks street date. (It's Rule 7.) No more, please.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks