Where to buy plexiglass? (window in sub)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Seth_L, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

After seeing how pretty the rear of the tumult is I'm tossing around the idea of putting a window in the box so you can see the rear of the cone. I've gone to Lowes and Home Depot and wasn't able to find anything thicker than .25" I wasn't planning on making the window all that big. Like maybe 6"x12" or something along those dimensions. Anyone know where I can find thicker plexiglass, or if I will even need thicker with a window that small?

Seth

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

In a metro area like Detroit, you should have lots of options. Just look under "plastics" in the yellow pages. Your only difficulty may be finding someone willing to sell you such a small piece. Heck, you might be able to find some large wholesaler to give you a small slab.

I would look for something like 1/2" acrylic (DuPont trade name Lucite). There's no reason to pay the extra money for polycarbonate (DuPont trade name Lexan). Get a piece significantly larger than the opening so you can't see the edges (they're a real pain to polish). Be careful-this stuff scratches easily. Don't remove the protective film until ready to install. Use a very sharp saw and slow feed rate, otherwise you will have melting or chipping.

3. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

look for a glass sellers they can help you out

4. Brett Loomis

Brett Loomis Stunt Coordinator

Guys, I'm in Canton, MI/Metro-Detroit and remember a place called Laird Plastics South of I-696 on the West side of the road somewhere like Groesbeck, Gratiot or Van Dyke area.

They should have every type and thickness you need.

Good luck.

5. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

All this help for plexiglass, and I can't find some sonotube around Detroit [​IMG]

6. Brett Loomis

What about Theut Products on Gratiot north of 21 Mile road for Sonotube????

7. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

8. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

there is a place called ewards glass company it is in livoina neat wonderland mall area i forget the road it is the same as ram chargers is on and near the old gorge burns theater

9. Brett Loomis

10. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering how you are going about securing the plexiglass?

and how do you plan to soundproof the box?... if that thing isnt secured properly it might be pushed around abit and you could see yourself a month down the road with the piece of plexi coming off or rattling.

Sounds like a neat idea nonetheless. Wonder if it would be possible to build an entire enclosure out of some nice 3/4" plexi- wouldnt that look cool.

Adam

11. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

12. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

13. Jacques C

Jacques C Stunt Coordinator

14. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

15. Craig Treusdell

At first I wanted to use a piece of 3/4" plexi bent 90 degrees as sharp as possible and mount the two Stryke 18" PR's on it for the front and side (the two visible surfaces when placed in the corner). Then fill the box with plexi mirror and mount the sub on the bottom.
    However after finding the price $400+ for the plexi and difficulty with a 3/4" plexi sharp bend, I figure I'll mount the Tumult inverted on top of the box. This eliminates the terminal cup (or the two stand-alone binding posts I've begun using for a number of reasons from Parts Express.)
    I just hate waiting for those 2 pieces of art!