What's new

Where to buy plexiglass? (window in sub) (1 Viewer)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
After seeing how pretty the rear of the tumult is I'm tossing around the idea of putting a window in the box so you can see the rear of the cone. I've gone to Lowes and Home Depot and wasn't able to find anything thicker than .25" I wasn't planning on making the window all that big. Like maybe 6"x12" or something along those dimensions. Anyone know where I can find thicker plexiglass, or if I will even need thicker with a window that small?

Seth

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
In a metro area like Detroit, you should have lots of options. Just look under "plastics" in the yellow pages. Your only difficulty may be finding someone willing to sell you such a small piece. Heck, you might be able to find some large wholesaler to give you a small slab.

I would look for something like 1/2" acrylic (DuPont trade name Lucite). There's no reason to pay the extra money for polycarbonate (DuPont trade name Lexan). Get a piece significantly larger than the opening so you can't see the edges (they're a real pain to polish). Be careful-this stuff scratches easily. Don't remove the protective film until ready to install. Use a very sharp saw and slow feed rate, otherwise you will have melting or chipping.

Brett Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, I'm in Canton, MI/Metro-Detroit and remember a place called Laird Plastics South of I-696 on the West side of the road somewhere like Groesbeck, Gratiot or Van Dyke area.

They should have every type and thickness you need.

Good luck.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
there is a place called ewards glass company it is in livoina neat wonderland mall area i forget the road it is the same as ram chargers is on and near the old gorge burns theater

Adam O

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering how you are going about securing the plexiglass?

and how do you plan to soundproof the box?... if that thing isnt secured properly it might be pushed around abit and you could see yourself a month down the road with the piece of plexi coming off or rattling.

Sounds like a neat idea nonetheless. Wonder if it would be possible to build an entire enclosure out of some nice 3/4" plexi- wouldnt that look cool.

Adam

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Just wondering how you are going about securing the plexiglass?
and how do you plan to soundproof the box?... if that thing isnt secured properly it might be pushed around abit and you could see yourself a month down the road with the piece of plexi coming off or rattling.
Sounds like a neat idea nonetheless. Wonder if it would be possible to build an entire enclosure out of some nice 3/4" plexi- wouldnt that look cool.
Adam
Screws, pressure, caulk. You use a router and make a small depression for the plexi to sit in. Then you use pieces of scrap to build a frame to hold it in. Then you glue the "frame" and put some short screws into it. Add some caulk to make sure it's all airtight. Then it's held in place by the frame (no rattling) and the caulk will ensure it's airtight (but it should already be).
The real question is whether to put neon or a CCFL in the box to light it up. :D
Seth

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator
I would look for something like 1/2" acrylic (DuPont trade name Lucite). There's no reason to pay the extra money for polycarbonate (DuPont trade name Lexan). Get a piece significantly larger than the opening so you can't see the edges (they're a real pain to polish). Be careful-this stuff scratches easily. Don't remove the protective film until ready to install. Use a very sharp saw and slow feed rate, otherwise you will have melting or chipping.
You would want Lucite for this purpose anyway. It is much stiffer than a polycarbonate.

Lucite machines easily with a slow, steady feedrate.

Take care.

At first I wanted to use a piece of 3/4" plexi bent 90 degrees as sharp as possible and mount the two Stryke 18" PR's on it for the front and side (the two visible surfaces when placed in the corner). Then fill the box with plexi mirror and mount the sub on the bottom.
However after finding the price $400+ for the plexi and difficulty with a 3/4" plexi sharp bend, I figure I'll mount the Tumult inverted on top of the box. This eliminates the terminal cup (or the two stand-alone binding posts I've begun using for a number of reasons from Parts Express.)
I just hate waiting for those 2 pieces of art!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks