Where to buy PAL TV in US?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkZ, May 9, 2002.

1. MarkZ

MarkZ Auditioning

My company needs to buy a PAL format TV for testing. We're looking for a model that is non-autoswitching with SCART connectors. Anybody know where this could be obtained? Size isn't critical, probably anything 20" and up would do.

I figured this board would be THE place to ask.

Thanks for any and all help.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

WITH SCART?

I don't think you're going to find it in the US. There's a Sampo set that's PAL/NTSC compatible (and HD capable) but I don't believe it has SCART

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Go to the German site Hifi Components (http://www.hificomponents.de/Versand...sliste_eng.htm) and order from there. They say they'll only ship within Europe, but I e-mailed them asking if they could ship the US too and they said they could. They have a good reputation and competitive prices.
    You can call them at +49 (0)89 7485380 if you prefer that (I haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure they speak English).
    I think it'd be very hard to find a SCART equipped TV in the US.

4. Petteri

Petteri Extra

Try mindlogic.com The prices are a bit high, but they do have a wide selection.

5. stephen abbot

Just a comment on SCART. I would not constrain oneself to sets that only have scart inputs, in the end they are easily adapted to RCA leads. You say that even a 20" set would do so an RGB input is obviously not that important as anything under 29" will benefit little from RGB. S-Vid or even composite is fine. In that case SCART to Composite and S-Vid adaptors cost little more than $9. The link below shows such an adaptor.
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...uct/View/P6670
    The above adaptor supports both S-vid input and Composite and Audio inputs and output. NZ$17 is around US$9.
    Mindlogic have several UK Sony TV models that sport scart connectors as well as AUS/Oceania models that do not. The latter are a we bit cheaper.
    Cheers
    Stephen

6. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Somewhat related, somewhat not:

The All-In-Wonder Radeon 7500 card I bought SEEMS to have PAL capability, though I haven't tested it. Can anyone tell me whether or not the North American AIW cards support PAL?

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The Radeon cards adapt the signal going to your monitor for TV output. PAL/NTSC is a non-issue for them

8. Boka

Boka Stunt Coordinator

U.S. Military personnel are constantly bringing home dual PAL/NTSC systems from overseas. Look for a bulletin board where mil people sell their stuff or look in any pawn shop around a base.