Where to buy Optical Cables in Canada...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sheldon, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know where to purchase reasonably inexpensive Optical Cables to go from DVD Player to Receiver here in Eastern Canada? Future Shop want way too much,about $40.00 for 6 feet.Any thoughts?

2. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

TosLink?

I got a toslink cable from future shop for like 15bucks. i've seen them carry recoton and accoustic research which should both should be priced quite conservatively

3. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I have no idea if Best Buy is in Canada, but I just paid $16USD for a 6' recoton toslink there. Maybe you can buy from their website?

4. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    I agree with the above post..try Best Buy or if they have it up there, Radio Shack. No need spending a fortune for one either, either of the two places (or similar) will sell a reasonably priced cable that should fit your needs.

Alfer

5. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

BestBuy bought out Future Shop about 6 weeks ago and it will take about 1 year to fully changeover.The TosLink at Future Shop starts at $40. and you can go to about $200.Not much competition here...

6. Vu N

Vu N Auditioning

Hi Sheldon,
    I got my optical cable from Future Shop here in Vancouver for 15 dollars as well. It's a 6 foot Recoton one. If you can't find it in the store, you can order it online at futureshop.ca for the same price. Here's the link:
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...=&newdeptid=11
    Vu

7. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Go to any audio/video store and they should have their own budget cable. You don't need to go to stores like Futureshop. Go to an audio/video store and they would most likely take at least something off the cables.

8. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

try www.rpelectronics.com
    I did buy some inexpensive cables from them, but I haven't tried their toslink connector.
    -David

9. Bernard L

Bernard L Stunt Coordinator

you can try those wierd shops that sell electronic parts. like transisters and led lights and those measuring devices of all sorts.

in Toronto, there are a few and some of them have the toslink cables for around $15 for 3ft. and $20 for 6ft.