What's new

Where to buy long threaded rods? (1 Viewer)

Ed_A

Stunt Coordinator
I was at two local Home Depots this past weekend looking for threaded rods for a flexy rack I'm thinking about building. Home Depot only carries 1', 2' and 3' lengths. They have 5/8 and 3/4 diameter zinc plated rods, but not any longer than 3'. Anybody know where I can get longer ones?
The rack I want to build would support my 32" Sony Vega TV with a shelf on top of it like this one, but without the racks on either side of the TV:
http://www.bluemarine.com.au/mark/ma...%20current.JPG
Ideally the rods would be 50" long. That would put the top shelf at the perfect height, so that I could set my center channel on top of that.
By the way anybody know what type of wood would be best to use...I'm thinking about using 3/4" Birch. The TV weighs in at 165 lbs. Quite a beast!
Thanks for your help,
Ed

E

Eric Kahn

the threaded rods are availible at Professional hardware stores in 8 ft lengths, most of the time called "all-thread"

look up hardware in the yellow pages and start calling

I have seen it up to 1 inch in size and as small as 1/8

Steve Estabrook

Auditioning
I am assuming that you are talking about plywood shelving? If so, they are pretty much the same since it is a venier that is only about .032 thick. If solid shelving then almost any hardwood will do. Oak and ash are very stronk. At over 160 pounds, I would brace directly under the set, both front and back.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
You might be better off buying unthreaded rods at home depot in the length you want then threading them yourself with a tap and die set. You could probably even just rent a set of those so you do not have to purchase them. It is very easy to do as well and they come in every size.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I think my Lowe's stocked all-thread in 1ft, 3ft and 6ft lengths. And just recently I saw some long all-thread in Home Depot. Can't remember precisely, but I think it was something ridiculous like 8ft or 10ft.

Ed_A

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies.
Eric, thanks for the clarification. I'll try that route and see if I get any results.
Steve, sorry. I should have been more specific. But you are correct, I'm thinking about using birch plywood shelving, and putting bracing at the front and back of the shelf. In effect giving six load points under the shelf but only four going directly through the shelf to the top shelf(if that made sense). Here's Steve's rack as an example, btw he did a great job: (fourth pic from the top shows a good shot of the intermediate support)
http://www.angelfire.com/me4/myram/
Jason, thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with a tap and die set but it sounds like it would work also. I'm trying to make this an easy assembly considering this is my first flexy project.
Ryan, I'll have to check Lowe's. There isn't one for 20 miles but I'll be in that area within next week so I'll stop in to check. Thanks.
Thanks again for the help.:D
Ed

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
If you still can't find it locally I'd order it from McMaster-Carr. You can search their website at McMaster.com. I recommend going with the 18-8 Stainless Steel coarse thread. It's the cheapest of the stainless steel threaded rods and it's only a couple dollars more than the alloy steel (which will rust). There's also brass available for a few more dollars and should give things a really nice look.
Here's the breakdown of price and part number:
(Thread size) (Length) (Part Number) (Price)
18-8 Stainless steel
(1/2"-13) (6-ft) (98920A033) ($14.08)
(5/8"-11) (6-ft) (98920A035) ($21.72)
(3/4"-10) (6-ft) (98920A036) ($31.24)
Brass
(1/2"-13) (6-ft) (98926A033) ($18.00)
(5/8"-11) (6-ft) (98926A035) ($27.07)
(3/4"-10) (6-ft) (98926A036) ($38.25)

Ed_A

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,
Wow! Thanks for that great info...with part numbers and prices!
Fantastic! :D
Thanks,
Ed

StevieC

Grip
I imagine you have your shelf built, but I seem to recall Orchard Supply having all threads in longer lengths. You are in SJ, CA..right ?

Ed_A

Stunt Coordinator
StevieC,
yep, the rack is just about complete...just have some minor painting to do...
I found the 6 foot threaded rods at Southern Lumber, and later found out that Orchard Supply also carries them. It was just really weird that Home Depot didn't stock it...
BTW, I went with 3/4" Oak plywood from Southern...their wood was nicer than Home Depot's.:emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks for your help.
I'm planning on posting pics when I've fully completed the rack.:D
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks