Where to buy large dark curtains?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stone, May 27, 2002.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I didn't know where to post this, so I thought the Basics forum was a safe place. Feel free to move it if you want.

I have this big 82"x82" curtain on my balcony sliding glass door. I live in an apartment, so this is the only place that I can have my HT. During the day, when the sun is still up, the glare is insane on the TV. I'd like to get a black or dark navy blue curtain to replace the current one (tan-ish). I have no idea where to get one though. I could settle for just a bigass piece of fabric, but I don't know where to get one either...I don't have any sewing shops near me. Is there anywhere online that sells this kind of stuff?

2. Rick Osgood

Rick Osgood Extra

3. BobHaymond

BobHaymond Stunt Coordinator

I'm having mine made in a small drapery shop. Finding a dark paisley corduroy @ $8.00 / yd 54" wide. So $150 for 18 yds. and $90 for construction. I also got black-out lining for $45 [it's white BTW ]. This is 10 x 8 feet of thoroughly darkening drapes for $300. I believe that's cheaper than you can buy. I do recommend the lining.

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Goood laaawd that's a lot of money.
    I'm looking for a cheap (half-assed) solution. [​IMG]
    Nothing special...I don't have a dedicated HT room or anything, and I'm just a poor college student.

5. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

I believe you should look for blackout fabric - it comes in white or black, and is used behind curtains to block out light (which is what we're looking for here! [​IMG])
    Does Wal-Mart or Target have it?

6. BobHaymond

BobHaymond Stunt Coordinator

Sorry if I my buget was too high -- I was a married grad student MANY semesters ago. See if this does better: [​IMG]

The black out cloth is exactly what I was suggesting; so make the drapes yourself. The black out is $3 a yd. [I don't think you'll be successful without this]; get the cheapest cloth that's attractive to you; you'll need enough of both fabrics to equal 1.5 times the width of your window. Get wood doweling for curtain rods, making the brackets also of wood. Then buy inexpensive plastic rings and sew them every 6" on the fabric. Maybe collaborate on some beer and have a sew-together party.

Good luck with your project.

BH

Sony 36XBR450
    Onkyo 989
    CSW MC300
    Tivo
    Toshiba 5500
    HotSpot

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Another trick is to use bed sheets as curtains with the black out material behind them. Sheets are nice beacuse they can be cheap, come with finsihed edges and are available in a variety of colours. Trust me once installed no one will know they were ever bed sheets[​IMG]

8. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

Matt, if you're really looking for cheap and half-assed, I've seen people line their windows with aluminum foil.
    Not that I think you really want to go that cheap and that half-assed, but it should help put other options into perspective. [​IMG]

9. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

I used black bed sheets. I put them behind my burgandy curtains. But my windows werent as big.

10. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I would just do aluminum foil, but my apartment complex has specific rules against that. As I said, this is for my sliding glass door to my patio. I'd like to keep up the curtian that is already there...just put something darker on the inside. My problem is that a sheet doesnt' block out most of the light, as it isn't very thick.

11. Mark Larson

Just curious... Why does your complex have a rule against aluminium foil to block out light?
    Fire hazards?

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

They want a uniform look to all of the patio doors. You can't change the curtain that you see from that outside. That is why my plan is to attach something on the inside, so I see it...but no one else does.

Does anyone else have any links to this stuff online...I can't get out for a couple of days.

13. Jim Mc

Jim Mc Agent

Matt,
    Go to JoAnn fabric and ask for black-out shade / lining material. It is a vinyl material, white on one side and grey on the other. You could tack a piece over each door's window and from the outside it would look white like a lined curtain. But your room will be DARK.

14. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Okay...I'm going to hit the stores tomorrow and see what I can do.

15. Mark Larson

Update us later - best of luck!

16. Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton Stunt Coordinator

Same situation as me,I live in a apartment and also work at night so most of my movie viewing is done in the afternoon. I took down the ventian blinds and replaced them with drapes but they hardly block out the light to my satifaction. I have tried the exspensive black out lining and its not enough to block out all the light. I ended up buying a curtain rod with rings and 8 plastic shower liners, four white and 4 black in color. I extended the drapes rod so I could mount the curtain rod inside the drape rod. I glued the shower liners together to create two sets. white liner, then black, black again, then white. Now you have created a sliding blackout liner that apears to look like the white light out coating in your set drapes from the outside view of your window.

17. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

You can find black out shades/curtains at Bed, Bath and Beyond or Linens and Things. You can find the pull down spring loaded plastic shades at any Home Depot (or that type of store).

Good Luck
    Ron