What's new

Where to buy Japan Region 2 release of "Hero"? (1 Viewer)

Kami

Screenwriter
After doing some reading, it looks like the R2 is the way to go. I play off a HTPC so region code isn't a concern.

The only site I could find with the R2 for sale was $37 US...is it cheaper anywhere else? You can get the R0 for $9.99 on ebay!

Thanks in advance.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Go for the R3 edition from EDKO. Should be able to find it fairly cheap. It's identical to the Japanese release.

Tin-Lun Lau

Stunt Coordinator
not really....

video quality wise, the japanese version is a little darker and truer to Christopher Doyle's vision. The Chinese DVD seems a little brightened, it's still good video quality, tho.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I've got the R0 China, R3 Edko and the R2 Japan release and the R2J is clearly superior. The Korean version is the same as the Edko release.

Todd McF

Second Unit
I just picked up the EDKO. The others versions are very difficult to find. The EDKO does have a higher bit rate than the others and the image looks pretty detailed from the shots - color balance issues aside. I wanted this thing before it becomes totally unavailable which seems to be what is happening.

I do have a projector so I'll post my findings.

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
I note that the Japanese R2 version has Japanese text for the prologue and epilogue frames (with English subtitles) instead of Edko's burned in Chinese+English text frames...

I just bought the DTS ES version, but it didn't say which region. Is that version available in more than one region?

Thanks,
rynopr

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
The Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Hong Kong editions all have the DTS ES 6.1 audio track.

Funny thing my region 3 copy works in my dvd player--pleasant surprise. I don't have a multiregion player yet. I tried another disk to see if it would play non region one and it wouldn't work. I thought someone could fill me in why?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Does it have this cover;

Hero (China)

or this one;

Hero (HK)

Or do you have the Korean version?

That first link is for the old Mainland China disc that was R0. The second HK disc is R3. I don't know what Region the Korean disc is.

It looks like the link you gave to (HK). I watched it last night for the first time. What an awsome movie! Even my wife and her friend loved it! It says R3 on the back, but still played in my player. I don't understand it, but am very thankful.

Thanks

RobD

Second Unit
As far as I can work out, it worked in Region 2 only player so I think it is. Unfortunately I have lent it to a friend and so I cant just put it in Powerdvd and check.

It would have to be because my dvd changer is like an antique now. Nothing at all burned will play in my player let alone something from another region.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
So where can you get the Japanese pressing? And which pressing is the box set?

-Dave

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
I just received my HK Edko dvd of Hero and it won't play in my Region 1 player or my Region locked DVD Rom drive. Where did you guys get yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks