Where to buy HT gear in Australia?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brad-F, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Brad-F

Brad-F Stunt Coordinator

I am looking to buy an amp. But living in Sydney, I am finding that getting gear at a reasonable price is difficult. There just seems to be so much mark up.

For example, I have been looking at the Pioneer D912 to be my first HT receiver.

I have found this for sale in Australia for between $1299 and $1500 dollars AU. ($929US to $1,161US)

I have seen the same amp on sale in the US for as little as $300US.

Currently, $300US is equal to about $377AU.

Sure, the Aussie dollar is strong at the moment.
    Sure, there must be 'some' markup bringing an item in
    to the country
    Sure, even then, some markup for profit for the seller..

But THAT MUCH markup?

Even when the Aussie dollar was at 50c US, this item would have equaled $600AU in cost.

Not $1500!

So, where do I buy my amp in Australia? Is there any on line seller who is offering more reasonable prices than the big electronics stores?

I could buy the amp in the US, have it shipped over, pay 100% duty and still get it at around half the price I would pay for it here!

Is it possible to buy a US model amp and run it here in Australia. 240 volts and all that stuff. Is the power on any of these amps switchable? And if so, can someone suggest a US seller who will ship to us Aussies?

2. Peter Mansell

Brad,

Got any friends travelling overseas ?

Ask someone to pick it up for you in Singapore. It's the cheapest place to buy stuff ... and no 110 / 240V problems.

3. Brad-F

Brad-F Stunt Coordinator

mmmm.. .thinking... I do have some friend who are going to the USA. But they are not leaving until April, and will be gone for months.

I'll ask around. Thanks for the tip.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Brad, it is really hard to find dual voltage models in the States. I second Singapore.

I used to shop at a place on the North side of Parramatta Road in Leichardt. I don’t suppose they were the cheapest however.

5. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

I have a friend Bhaskar, who is just starting up with some major brands down there. In fact he was here (in Los Angeles) last night for a short listening session before returning home.

E-mail him at [email protected] and tell him I sent you. Can't guarantee he is carrying what you want but he will bave a substantial "line card"

6. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

AudioConnection??? That must be the most expensive A/V store I've seen in Australia!! Lovely gear but scary prices..