Where to buy Cast Away / Gladiator Style Double-Keepcase for Silence of the Lambs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hector X. Cruz, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Hector X. Cruz

Hector X. Cruz Stunt Coordinator

Hi all.
    I am interested in purchasing a Cast Away / Gladiator style double keepcase. The type with the hinged inner sleeve for the additional disk.
    I will be purchasing the Silence of the Lambs MGM version this Tuesday, but I am not telling my fiance about it. I already own the Criterion version and I do not want to part with it because of the fantastic commentary track, supplements, and great cover art.
    So, I figured the best of both worlds would be to buy the new version, ditch the cover art, and put both disks in a Gladiator-style thin keepcase. This way, I keep both disks and my fiance is none the wiser.
    Any ideas where I can purchase one like this? Online or Brick & Mortar stores?
    -Hector
    ------------------

2. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

3. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Whoa...your fiance would be angry over $20?

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

This is good to know on the boxes. As some know, time permiting, I am considering doing a hybrid cover art to cater for those who want to store both the MGM and Criterion releases in one case.
    Dan (UK)

5. Hector X. Cruz

Thanks for the information, guys. God, I love the Home Theater Forum. First, I find out about the $12.99 on the Predator (DTS) and now this. What would I do without my HTF?
    Anyway, Ron, she wouldn't be upset about $20. It's the fact that I have bought or am buying the following DVDs in the next few months:
    Jurassic Park (DTS) already owned DD
    Predator (DTS)already owned DD
    Hannibal
    Forrest Gump
    Basic Instinct
    Cape Fear
    Simpsons Season 1
    Terminator
    Snow White
    Godfather Collection
    The Phantom Menace
    Dumbo
    Shrek
    Jurassic Park III
    Pearl Harbor (Director's Cut)
    Add all these prices up and you could see why she would be upset about me buying a DVD of a movie I already have. No amount of anamorphic picture with 5.1 sound reasoning will justify it for her.
    We are saving for a wedding and these are truly perks for me.
    Anyway, the double keepcase is the best option I think.
    -Hector
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Hector X. Cruz on August 17, 2001 at 01:36 PM]

6. Hector X. Cruz

Actually, this is great. Since I have both the DD and DTS versions of Jurassic Park, I am going to pack them in one of these boxes as well. This is great.
    Here is the direct link if anybody else wants to get these cases.
    Link to iNETDVD.com Amaray Black Slim Double DVD Case
    Thanks again, Michael!
    -Hector
    What did we do in the dark days before the internet?
    ------------------

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Be careful though. I ordered these from inet and received the fat double Amarays instead.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

8. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

That is a real slick idea. I might do the same for Apollo 13 DTS and Collectors edition, as well as both editions of Spinal Tap.
    Thats not a bad idea.
    -- Matt

9. Hector X. Cruz

Gee, Mark, did you get that situation resolved? It would suck if I got the fat cases. The Criterion cover art slip is designed for the thin cases. I ordered 2 already for both SOTL and JP. Hope they get it right.
    Actually, putting the films together like this will mask the more neurotic characteristics of my hobby - buying multiple versions of the same film.
    At the very least, I can get my friends and relatives to stop asking me, "Why do you have two copies of Saving Private Ryan?" without having to rationalize it for them.
    Here's hoping iNETDVD.com comes through.
    -Hector
    ------------------

10. Todd Phillips

Todd Phillips Second Unit

FWIW, I had no problems getting the correct cases from inetdvd.com. I ordered 10 slim double Amarays and 10 single, and I got what I ordered.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Todd Phillips

11. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

12. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

Anyone know if there is a dvd case like the Alpha Double (thick case) that will hold 3 dvd's? If there is, anyone know where to purchase it?
    Thanks,
    Lane

13. MarkBurton

MarkBurton Second Unit

Hey... I bought some of those Amaray Black Slim Double DVD cases. What a good idea to combine the Spinal Taps and the Silence Of The Lambs' of the world. Did anyone design a new cover to house both versions? If so, where can you find them. Thanks.

14. Hector X. Cruz

Hi, Mark.
    All I did was put the Criterion Collection disc in the main hub, and the new MGM disc in the sleeve hub.
    I placed the criterion cover art on the inside of the MGM cover art, as I prefer the new MGM art, and placed it in the case sleeve. It was a nice fit, you would never know that this was 2 discs from the outside.
    Since it's a slim case, no need for new cover art, unless you want some.
    -Hector
    ------------------

15. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    It would be nice if Paul Champagne would make a case that would fit the Manhunter double disc, both SOTLs and Hannibal...

16. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Hector, just an observation here. No offense intended, just food for thought. Here it goes, and I'm sure I will be flamed mercilessly for bringing this up:
    Is a marriage a good thing to go into when you're "putting one over" on your gal over something as small as a $20 DVD purchase? Is your hobby that more important to you than your mate's trust? Can't it wait until the wedding and honeymoon are paid for...SotL's new edition will probably still be on the shelves by then.
    Just my thoughts. I tried to sneak some DVD's into the house (3 Sam's Club $10 specials) once when we had agreed "no more for now" because we were short of money, and I had bought 'em anyway, shorting a bill to do it. I was successful. Then I decided that the missus would see 3 new titles on the shelf sooner or later and wonder where they came from (remember, although she doesn't speak out here on HTF, she's into it as much as I am). More to the point, I just couldn't live with myself. So I came clean with her. We had a great fight over it, but she forgived me and trusted me again because *I* had broached it with her. But I'll NEVER do that again...it's not worth her trust to own some shiny metal discs.
    So...do you really want to go there?
    Okay, flame away! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by David Lambert on September 08, 2001 at 02:14 PM]