What's new

where to buy cables?? (1 Viewer)

jimFred

Auditioning
ok, i'm sort of new to all this so i need some advice before buying hookup cables...i bought a 42" sony plasma hd ready tv and am using a high definition cable box with component outputs and a dvi-d output..the tv has a dvi input....should i use a dvi cable as opposed to the component hookups?..is so, is there a difference beteween dvi-d and dvi?...also, what is a good quality cable at a fairly reasonable price?....i have some acoustic research master series cables from the dvd player to the tv, they seem good....
i also have to run some video audio cables....any suggestions as to brand?...would you go with monster cables or the master series from acoustic research or another brand?...and where is the best place to buy them?...thanks a bunch, this is a great forum

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I believe cables are a huge waste of money for most people. I am using cables from the following vendors:

www.cablesforless.com
www.trianglecables.com

I have had great experience with cables from both of these vendors and recommend them highly with no reservations. Don't pay more than you need to for cables.

If you like higher end cables for some reason I recommend forum sponsor www.bluejeanscable.com they are reasonably priced and very high quality.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
I have Radio Shack cables connecting about 75% of my system. It's all I buy any more. Unless I can find something cheaper. I have liked the quality from Pacific Cable.com too.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I have bought a ton of cables from AC4l.com aka Accessories for Less. I went with the Ixos brand. I didn't find them to be that much more expensive than the AR brand or Radio Shack or the other cheapo brands but I did find they outperformed them. There shipping is very very fast and they are very easy to deal with.

As far as what to use, I'd definitely use DVI over component as you have a Fixed panel display. I know Acoustic Research and the other budget brands don't carry DVI cables so take note of that. There was a guy on AVS who calibrates high end displays and says that there is a noticable differnce on the various cables when talking about 1080P. Only 2 cables could go a decent distance w/o noise. One of those was a $400 one and the other was the Ultralink for around $100. Ultralink you usually have to find at a local dealer.

Depending on your dvd player will depend on which connection you should use. Your Cable box has DVI and if you buy a dvd player with DVI(which you should) then you need to decide which picture quality is more important(your dvd or HD cable) because likely your new Sony doesn't switch DVI or have 2 DVI/HDMI type inputs on it. The receivers are coming to switch those and there are external boxes out now if you want to fool with that. Some do not.

Good Luck in your efforts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks