What's new

Where to buy cables, wires, etc. NOT from an e-tailer (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
No they aren't but I've got a few pairs laying around. Stuff I've gathered up over time. Why some interconnects, I've even dressed up!
The twisted pair does not function as a shield. Noise can get into the interconnects in several ways. Quite common is noise or hum as a result of the cables being in the vicinity of a strong magnetic field. In this case, the twisted geometry (understand, we're talking about tight twisting that's symmetric and not haphazard) is effective. The external shield has no real effect here. If you're very concerned about this and want to minimize the interaction of the cable with rejecting this common mode type of noise, then you're going to want parallel twisted pairs. That's a superior method to coax or even single twisted pairs. Whenever a magnetic field passes through a loop of wire, a voltage is induced in the loop. This induced voltage induced is proportional to the loop area. Hence the larger loop, the more voltage. Smaller loop less voltage. The twisting does a couple of things. It gives you a small loop area and it strives to make sure that what
voltages are induced are induced as equally as possible in both wires. As to what the silver cables you're using do I don't know.
Ideally in an environment such as that, one would really want to move the hum creater away and/or relocate the cables. Inverse square law and all that, right? The shield, usually foil + braid is there if you've got a problem with or seek to protect against RFI. That braid will only be attached at one end and not both.
I offer the following statement as strictly my opinion. If you want interconnects and seek to choose them on the basis of minimising noise, you'll likely get better thinking from companies that make interconnects that're used in cars. That's an environment that's a whole lot worse than what you've got in your home.
If you look at the links for Alpha and MapleShades, and you recognize that
a)hey there's no twisting going on
b)they're certainly fragile
c)there's no external shield
d)audiophiles like em, so do some of the audiophile publications
e)maybe they ain't that different from those el-cheapos 'cept you don't have to orally gratify your el-cheapos and they're probably twisted.
All I'm saying is that the poster doesn't have to act like there's a fire and suddenly start buying new cables. When you consider that some might not be all that different from cables costing 100's or 1000's more, it's got to make you wonder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks