Where to buy cables, wires, etc. NOT from an e-tailer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shana, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

**IGNORE THE TITLE, I AM LOOKING FOR ANY RETAILER FOR DECENT COST-EFFECTIVE CABLES**

I dont see that you can edit a thread title so I will just repost this puppy. I am probably going to return most of the Monster cables the very nice salesman at Ult. Elect. sold me and have been told partsexpress.com is a good e-tailer to go through using their Dayton brand cables. Does anyone have an opinion on these? I don't want to sacrifice much quality for a few bucks. But if there is another brand to use with similar quality at a less price I would like to purchase those as I do have a lot of cables just sitting here (the installer used mostly cables supplied with the components but I want better than that).

Thanks!!!

old text: I have messed around and not ordered the cables I need in time to be delivered from one of the online retailers. Any suggestions on the best place to purchase these and best brand for the price? I understand Home Depot is a good place to order speaker wire. I live in Fort Worth so have access to all big name stores.

Thanks!
    Shana

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

GE component cables from Target. Something like 20 bucks for 10 feet. Search 'em on the web. Lowe's probably also has speaker wire. And of course, the ubiquitous Radio Shack for interconnects.

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

You should try some of your local retailers for audio equipment. There are quite a few in the Ft Worth area.

4. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

I can generally always find a online seller to get me cables FAST.even Crutchfields can get them in your hands within 48 hours

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Shana, it might help if you list the cables you need.

The AR brand from Best Buy/Home Depot are great budget interconnects (coaxial cables with RCA plugs on the end). Use these for low-quality sources like the old VCR, CATV box, or the coaxial-digital connection from a DVD player to the receiver. (This is a digital feed so it is very insensitive to the cable. Just use a video cable.)

But if you were hooking up a high-quality video feed to a HDTV .. then you are in the area where a cable might make a visible difference. For good video feeds, hit one of the etailers. Most of them have standard sizes in stock and can ship the same day if you order early.

But even for high-quality sources, the AR/Radio Shack component cables will work great. You just wont have the satisfaction of having a cable designed for HD video frequencies.

6. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

The Sears store here carries AR Pro series, a step up from those at Best Buy and CC. I found this out the day after I ordered some online (accessories4less), but even with shipping.. it was a little cheaper online.

7. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

Bob, I need cables, wires, interconnectors, etc., for the following equipment, all brand new, still in their boxes.

Pan 51HX42 HDTV-ready TV
    Yamaha HTR-5550 Receiver
    Progressive Scan DVD player (probably will purchase the Pan CP72)
    DirecTivo
    CS Newton M80s front and back speakers
    undetermined Center and Sub

So, everything needed to hook all this up. I have a pretty good understanding of what I will need except I have received conflicting information on what exactly needs to be connected to the TV instead of the receiver, specifically the DVD player.

Thanks!!
    Shana

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

not sure, but i think sears will still price match stuff that's on the web. not sure if it applies to wire though.

9. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

I've read enough stories to not even try and price match at Sears. If it were a very large differnce in money, I might, but for the difference in the price of a few cables... not worth my effort.

I can see why you are getting conflicting statement on connecting everything... there is more than one way do connect it all, and what might be best for me, may not work the best for you.

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

11. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Bob for the info! I am finally settled into my house!!! and around to reading all the good recommendations from people.

I'm guessing Plan 1 will be optimal for me right now. The person who installed my new oval dish and DirecTivo is the one who hooked up all my components but I noticed that they weren't all running through the reciever. I don't know why. Will have to see exactly whats hooked up to what, just cant be in that room tonight due to grout drying in there.

I am pretty sure that he only has one s-video running right now.

Thanks,
    Shana

12. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

Also, I let the UE salesperson talk me into Monster cables (most of which the installer didn't use as most of my components already came with cables) and a Monster Powerbar 1100. The installer said that the UE people must have been glad to see me come in, as I put down a lot of money. I intend on returning most of the cables but am wondering about the Powerbar.....any suggestions?

Thanks!

13. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

14. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

I guess so......should I return the Monster ones and buy some online and replace the ones that came with the components?

15. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well that depends if the cables that were packaged with your equipment are in some way defective or if you suspect that in some way the manufacturer knowingly gave you cables that would not allow the component to perform according to it's design specifications.

16. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

I don't know, I guess I was surprised that he didn't route everything through the receiver. Picture needs some work.

17. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

18. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

19. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Chu: Most of the included cables I have seen look like this:

[​IMG]

The very-thin wires leading to the RCA connector show that the wires are simply rubber-coated and not coaxial. These type of "Patch Cords" should not be used for the very-harsh electronic environment behind your equipment.

20. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Chu is that to say all your equipement is connected with the OEM cables they came with?

Also I can't speak for the other cables you mentioned but since the catcables (at least the silvercats I'm using) are in a twisted pair config wouldn't they act like shielded cables?