Where to buy black cable sheath?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ColinM, Mar 22, 2002.

1. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I want to dress up my 12ga Home Depot speaker wire. I'm going to use bananas, heat shrink, and that woven sheathing.

I couldn't find any at either RatShak or Parts Exp after 10 minutes of searching...

Anyone?

Thanks in advance...

2. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

The only expandable sleeving that I have used all comes in 50' to 100' rolls, and is quite expensive, but if you really want some look at Allied Electronics or Newarks website, its about $60 per 100' for the 1/2 black Allied P/N 205-0649 page 324 of 2001 catalog.
    http://www.alliedelec.com/cart/partlookup.asp

3. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

Marketec carries it pretty cheap-Click me! They also carry shrink wrap, connectors, and other cable making stuff.

4. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

Try heatshrink.com they sell techflex among other things.

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Braided Expandable Sleeving is nice and is what monstercable uses on some of their high end speaker cables. From what I understand it's pretty expensive though.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I use the Techflex brand for all the cables I've made for myself and my customers. It's really not all that expensive. I haven't bought any in a while but, IIRC, it's about $.23/ft. in 200' rolls.

Brian

7. David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli Stunt Coordinator

TechFlex cost more per foot than the Canare cable I used to make my cables. I couldn't justify that expense for something that adds no performance value to the cable.
    In any case I think www.markertek.com is the cheapest way to go because you can buy in 100' rolls.

8. David A. Frattaroli

Brian, Markertek must have dropped the price. I remember it costing twice that much.

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

David,

I'm buying through my business so maybe my price is different. I got 200' of the 1/4" Techflex for $46.00, so that's $.23/ft. IIRC, that's pretty close to the prices that Chris White quoted on his website.

Brian

10. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

11. David A. Frattaroli

In that case the price is not so bad.

12. Jeff Mills

Jeff Mills Stunt Coordinator

Real cheap at www.mcmaster.com
    do a search for Braided Polyethylene Mesh Sleeving

13. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Thanks, everyone!

14. Ken Weinrich

Ken Weinrich Auditioning

The entire line of Techflex expandable sleeving is available online at WireCare.com . They custom cut any material in lengths as short as 10 feet up to full spools.

15. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

Here is what the new silver tech flex looks like on the cable-
    cable
    I dont know if anybody can buy it, I got mine directly through techflex, I am a electrical contractor.

16. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I buy direct from TechFlex, and yes, their new silver and gold stuff is pretty wild. And, in case a customer wants patriotic, I've got some TechFlex red, white and blue combination sleeving.

17. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

will the silver flake over time, or is it pretty solid and permanent?

18. Ken Weinrich

Ken Weinrich Auditioning

There are two grades of metallic silver sleeving. The "Mylar" product is thinner and designed primarily for stationary decorative purposes. The "Chrome" product was designed in response to the motorcycle enthusiasts who wanted a tougher product to cover the wires, hoses and cables on their custom bikes. It is twice the thickness of the Mylar grade and will stand up to constant, repeated bending and movement, as well as road grit and sunlight. Both products are available at WireCare.com.

19. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ken,

And we are to assume you are affiliated with Wirecare as well, considering that all three of your posts have been to promote the company, correct?

Brian

20. Ken Weinrich

Ken Weinrich Auditioning

Actually no.

I'm the Marketing Communications Manager for Techflex.

We've recently reached an agreement with WireCare to act as the online vendor for the entire line of our products. As I started lurking in a variety of forums, not only HT/AV, but motorcyle, automotive, marine and others, it became clear that we were unable to support the majority of end users, people who needed a few feet of this and a couple of feet of that, at the corporate level. The WireCare people approached us at the perfect time. In order to satisfy the needs of the relatively small purchaser, and to maintain our history of superb customer service, we're committed to providing WireCare with any support that we can, including encouraging people to check out their site, answering product questions and providing marketing support. In return, WireCare is available to anyone and everyone who needs our products. They will cut lengths as short as 10 feet, there isn't any dollar minimum, and they have everything that we make, and some stuff that we don't. Our existing distributor network still has our full support, will remain our close partners and will always be available to provide the personal support you all have come to know.