Where to buy balanced XLR cables in Toronto area?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne_T, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

Are there any stores in the Toronto area that sell balanced XLR cables at reasonable prices? The prices I've seen are about $150/pair for 3 ft cables. That's more than I'm prepared to pay right now.

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. Mark Leitch

Mark Leitch Stunt Coordinator

I got a 20 ft pair of Straightwires for that much!

If you want to go cheap... you can try the professional route (radio shack too). Other than that, Audiogon has some good deals.

Mark.

3. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

Try a musical instrument store - one that carries electric guitars and amps. If you're more than $10-$20 CDN for 3 footers, you're getting ripped.

Austin

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Agree with Austin. Try a music store. You'll find lots to choose from and cheap, too.

5. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

You guys are amazing! I called a music store and they told me that they sell them by the foot plus the ends. Estimated price for a 3 footer is $7.50! I have to wonder about the quality at that price, but maybe it's just the difference between the audiophile market and the musician market - what the market will bear and all that.
    I'll pick them up in the next few days and I'll let you all know what they're like.
    Thanks again!!!

6. MikeAF

MikeAF Stunt Coordinator

Wayne,
    One other suggestion is to look at markertek.com. I bought some XLR cables to go from my Anthem AVM20 to my Cinepro amps and these fit inot my price range nicely and they are very good as far as I can tell. Yo can also order them in different colors but be sure to call in your order if you want different colors because you can only order black via the internet.

Mike

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Wayne,

The quality that you get will be appsoximately the same that most recording studios use. No-one but esoteric audiophiles like Lee Scoggins and the guys at AIX recordings uses "High quality" "audiophile grade" cables in studios. The reason is simple, the difference that cables make is small in that environment. You have to understand, balanced XLR cables are not at all like the "regular" RCA cables you are used to. The whole system is much more robust and specifically designed to not susseptible to or fall prey to interferenace. That's why XLR is used in studios and in live reinforcement.