What's new

Where to buy a widescreen television (1 Viewer)

Chris Biggs

Stunt Coordinator
Was wondering if anyone here has a recommendation for where to buy a widescreen television online. I've seen a few good deals on the net, but was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of or beware of.
Thanks,
Chris

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
My rule is: if you have had good experiences with a retailer in the past, and said retailer happens to sell widescreen TV's, then give them a shot.
Whatever you do, DON'T order from Best Buy, as this long, horrific story will attest to:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/001404.html
I once ordered a couple TV sets--one a standard tube, the other a widescreen--from Amazon.com and Sears.com respectively, and both were delivered without a problem.
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Chris Biggs

Stunt Coordinator
Man, that Best Buy story is awful. You better believe any temptation to buy from there is gone. Thanks!

Jeremy M

Agent
Chris-
Another place to avoid at all costs is Crazy Eddie!
I am going through hell right now trying to find out where my 27" Samsung Tantus HD-monitor is! The shipping company they go through has no f***ing idea if they have my TV and are shipping it or if Crazy Eddie still hasn't shipped it out yet. What makes this so gosh darn frustrating is the fact that somebody at Crazy Eddie, on the phone, told me that the TV HAD BEEN shipped on Wednesday and even gave me a tracking number, but the shipping company (PilotAir), doesn't have the number in their system to look up shipping info for me.
I just got off the phone with PilotAir's 'branch' in New Jersey (where Crazy Eddie is located), and the guy spent five minutes doing countless searches for information for me but could find nothing. He tells me the problem could be many things (that's just f***ing great, more problems!), he says either C.E. hasn't released the TV to them yet, OR they have sent it out, but didn't give the shipping co. the paper work (yet - if at all), so they can't give me any info on shipping. He told me to call C.E. to find out what's going on, but (of course), I will have to wait until 9am CST Sunday, to call them, as they will be closed until then.
(Call me pessimistic), but I'm thinking Crazy Eddie still has my damn TV in their warehouse when they *assured* me it was sent out no later than 2 days ago! I honestly think they are lying to me. How can this shipping co. really make the delivery if they don't have the paperwork from C.E.?! Unless all they need is the shipping information on the box and other minimal info (such as my phone #, etc), how do they know where the he** the TV is going?!
Argh... I'm supposed to be resting and relaxing, aka 'on vacation', this week. All 'resting and relaxing' went out the door starting yesterday when the delivery co. couldn't find the tracking # and info in they're computers. Is it really too much to ask that an e-tailer, such as Crazy Eddie, just get merchandise ready and send it out ASAP (even orders like TVs) and get all the shipping information ready and send it with the shipping co. when they come to pick up deliveries??? They told me it would arrive later because they had to get it ready to ship safely, ok, no big deal... it shouldn't take 3-4 days to get it ready to ship safely!! It's just a 27" tube TV! Not like its one of those big WS RPTVs.
I am so flipping irritated about the shipping delay because they let me choose Next Day Air delivery when I ordered the damn thing. Someone from C.E. called me the next day to let me know it would be 3 days (should have had it displaying 1080i images in my living room right now!) till I got the TV, instead of 1 or 2 like I designated, due to getting it ready to ship. I didn't have a big deal with it, but now I most certainly do. I paid more than $250 for the method of shipping I chose and instead of the 1-3 days it should have took, its obviously going to be no less than 7 now. Not many companies deliver on Saturdays (if it is actually on the way), w/o a special charge added to total cost of product and delivery. So, in essence, I am paying $175-$200 more than what I should have for shipping. I chose Next Day Air and the delivery service I am getting is no better than ground service. If it turns out I am getting charged that whole $250 for shipping, C.E. is going to have hell to pay!
As a consumer, nobody should have to put up with this crap. If only I knew before-hand what I was getting into before I placed that order. I'm not saying all dealings with C.E. are as bad as mine, but this is definitely not right.
So to make a very long story short, wouldn't go through Crazy Eddie, no matter how good they're prices might seem... unless you think you can get better service than what I just described. I would give them two thumbs down and a negative five stars!
Wherever you do decide to purchase your WS TV, I hope your experience is as easy and painless as can be.
Jeremy M
[Edited last by Jeremy M on August 17, 2001 at 05:31 PM]

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I went shopping for an HDTV OTA box today. You list all of the companies, prices and shipping, and one by one, put the etailer's names into a search engine for complaints.
I had it down to three, but two of them had complaints on them, so I made my decision.
It takes time, but I think it is worth it. Especially when it is a big item.
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks