Where to buy a single Polk RT25i or RT35i

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Brantley, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

Subject says it all. I need a single speaker to finish out my 8.1 system connected to my Yamaha RX-V3000 receiver. I have a CS400 center, RT55 mains, RT35i side surrounds and as of today a pair of RT15i speakers for the Yamaha front effects channels. My receiver will support a center rear, and I have figured out that I have space for one, but not two speakers in back.

Problem is... I can't find anybody who will sell me just one speaker. Circuity City won't, anyway, and the Crutchfield site only lists them in pairs. A center channel speaker won't work for me. I need an RT25i or and RT35i. I'm anxious to find one since these models are discontinued, and I want that trilam tweeter to match my setup! The new models that are replacing these have silk tweeters.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Buy a pair on closeout and keep the second one in reserve. These come boxed as pairs from Polk, so I think it highly unlikely that you will find someone to sell you just one.

3. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I would just buy the pair and keep one aside... and maybe you can find someone to take the single off your hands later. Hell, if I weren't recovering from the SVS purchase (worth every penny, by the way), I'd take one off of you because my system is RT25i/CS245i. I'm eventually going to upgrade receivers to get DD-EX/DTS-ES discrete, but can't do it right now.

4. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, guys. I was afraid of that. When I bought my RT35i's last year, they were packaged together. It's hard to remember, but it seems like when I bought the RT55's the year before that, they were boxed individually.

I think speaker manufacturers are being shortsighted in the new multi-channel world when they only offer speakers in stereo pairs. It reminds me of when I was putting together my first Pro Logic system. I had Polk Monitor 5jr's in front and 4.5's in rear. But nobody was selling a single speaker for center back then. I lucked into finding a single Polk Monitor speaker at a scratch-and-dent place in Atlanta. The matching speaker must have been destroyed or something, so they only had the one -- which was all I needed.

Anyway, I don't feel like buying an extra speaker I don't need right now, so I'll hold off. I'll keep watching CC for open-box buys, as well as eBay. Maybe I'll find a really cheap pair that'll take the sting out of paying for what I don't need.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Part of the reason I don't think too many manufacturers are selling single surround size speakers is that there still aren't that many 6.1 titles available so far. Now that the majority of receivers are now coming with 6.1 capability, that may change, not that this helps you right now.

As someone stated, you could buy two, and try to sell the other on Audiogon or Ebay, because there HAS to be someone else who just needs/wants one also.

Another thought would be to use a CS245 as a rear center, maybe an open box or demo unit.

6. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

You might try ElectronicExpress. They are a local chain here in TN with about 15 stores, I think based in Nashville. I know that they carry Polk stuff. You can try their website. They might could hook you up. Just don't pay sticker!

7. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

While it is unlikely, it couldn't hurt to call Polk or Crutchfield and see if they have a single "B" stock or slightly "dinged" unit sitting around that you could buy inexpensively. Good luck!

8. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

When I got a system from Ascend Acoustics for a friend, I asked if I could get 3 CBM's across the front, which they don't normally do. They were more than happy to throw a single CBM into a plain box for me!! Gotta love Internet direct and good customer service.

As for your situation, I would see if you can find someone to split a pair with you. Otherwise, you could just keep it as insurance.

9. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

For that matter, you might post on Polk's website forum to see if any Polk owners have a spare sitting around or even a pair you could get cheap.