Where to buy a region free DVD player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles M, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the process of buying a new dvd player. I'm wondering if a region free is the way to go. I already know about the Malata, but I've heard about getting ones chipped. I saw somewhere of SONY, PANASONIC, PIONEER, TOSHIBA and others that have region free capabilities. Is this true, and where can I get one. Or how can I get one chipped if I buy name brand. Is the Malata the way to go in my case? Are chipped ones only sold online? All help is appreciated. Thank, Charles.

2. Peter S

Peter S Agent

I've had a region-free for about a year and a half. I've never used this aspect of it. Nor have I used the macro-vision free modification, either. My DVD collection consists of about 80 titles, and not a single one is from another region than 1 -- although a few area for "every" region, region 0.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
  4. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

quote: I've had a region-free for about a year and a half. I've never used this aspect of it. Nor have I used the macro-vision free modification, either. My DVD collection consists of about 80 titles, and not a single one is from another region than 1 -- although a few area for "every" region, region 0.[/quote]It seems your needs are quite different from the average region free DVD player owner, but very similar to most DVD player owners overall.
    Charles, Most of the people I know are perfectly fine with a Region 1 player. However, if you already know you may buy non-Region 1 titles, Region free IS the way to go. Just be sure you're not getting an inferior player just to have the region free feature, and make sure the player plays RCE discs correctly.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack .
    [Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on September 02, 2001 at 11:10 AM]

5. Charles M

Thanks Eugene. I'm also keeping that in mind as well. Quality is a big plus me too. I just think it's nice to have the option to view the same titles from other countries. I've other region may be better than their region 1 counterparts. Is the Panny RP-91 region free, I thought I read that somewhere? Charles

6. Eugene Hsieh

None of the big companies (incl. Panasonic) sell factory-stock region free players in North America. I have a Panasonic RP91, but it is definitely not region free. You may be able to find hacked version somewhere though.
    ------------------
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

7. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

I bought the Malata DVD-N996 from www.avdeals.com and got very quick delivery and a good price. I may have just been lucky to have caught them in stock, since this is my only dealing with them. Since I only have one non-region-1 DVD to check it with so far, my experience with the Malata is limited, but I found it to produce a very good picture converted from PAL to NTSC.

8. Charles M

Larry, does the Malata have both DD and DTS decoding built in, couldn't tell from website. I'm interested in this player. Any can reply, Charles.

9. Eugene Hsieh

Do a search on the Malata. There's a lot of info here.
    In short: Supposedly good quality progressive scan image with great PAL-->NTSC conversion, all region, RCE compatible. One of the best scaling capabilities, and much more adjustable scaling than the Panasonic RP91. Even plays MP3. Unfortunately, while it supports DTS, it has some problems with sound dropouts for some people in DTS mode and it has a lousy remote, ergonomics and manual. No DVD-A.
    The Panasonic RP91 is still considered here to be the superior player overall, but at considerably higher cost and without region free ability.
    ------------------
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack .
    [Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on September 02, 2001 at 11:59 PM]

10. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

Charles,
    The Malata does support DTS, but I have not tried it, so I would note Eugene's comments.
    One point of clarification, though: although it does decode DD 5.1 and has line level outputs for each channel, it does not decode DTS and outputs a DTS signal only through the digital output (at least according to the owner's manual).
    I'm using the Malata as a second player and until I get a component signal switch, I have to unplug my primary player and rearrange my components to play the Malata. Right now it's not installed. It will probably be a few days before I could find the time to reinstall it and check for DTS problems.

11. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

I've had the Malata for quite some time now (one of the first) and am VERY happy with it, despite the DTS problem of fast dropouts that can occur every 20 minutes or every 5 minutes. Setting the Video Filter to CAMERA solves this, but the picture quality takes a huge dive, so I just stick with DD5.1. MALATA is working on a fix and avdeals promises it WILL happen.
    The remote does suck, but I am used to it. Some have figured out how to program their universals and I am taking a wack at that later this week.
    480p playback is outstanding and superior to the Toshiba 5109 I used to have. This player is THE code free deck to get, if that is what you are after. But if you care not for code free playback, then the more expensive Panasonic RP91 is a slightly better product.

12. PhilShen

PhilShen Extra

To answer Charles' question about DD and DTS decoding - the answer is a definite yes that the Malata does both. I have an old Sony receiver with only 5.1 inputs and I use the Malata to do both DD and DTS decoding. I've played a few DTS titles, including Gladiator and Die Hard SE. The audio quality seems pretty good to me, compared to my old Panny A310 (RIP).
    If I remember correctly, I went into the Expert menu and chose to decode to PCM the DTS option. Choosing DTS decoding will also handle DD - no need to change the setting.

13. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Holy crap!!! I almost died when I saw the price on the Malata player!! Plus, the gold finish is gorgeous. Would love to get that to complete my Stargate SG-1 DVD collection. Stinkin' MGM taking years to release the full series in region 1...harumph.
    I believe I've just decided on a birthday present. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection
    Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!
    [Edited last by Brian Harnish on September 05, 2001 at 04:02 AM]

14. Charles M

So Phil, the Malata does decode both formats? I thought I was getting mixed info. Like I said before the website doesn't really explain it clearly. I guess a real way to tell would be if the players itself had a bit rate meter on it like some do, and if it reads anything than 192 then your probably in business. I wish it had that feature, or most people can tell the difference in the sound quality ( Dolby D vs Pro Logic). Thanks again Phil.
    Charles
    ------------------