What's new

Where to buy a Pioneer VSX-D811S? (1 Viewer)

Ronald.C

Auditioning
I've decided on buying a Pioneer VSX-D811S, after much reading (especially on this site. Thanks everyone!).
Now, I need to know where the heck to get it :) I don't think my best buy (Gainesville, FL) has it. I was there last night and don't remember seeing it. But I was in a hurry, so I'm gonna go back and double check. Crutchfield.com has it, but they want $400 for it. It's my understanding that I should be able to find it for 300 no problem; which is good, since that's what I've allocated for a receiver purchase.
I think there's a Circuit City in town, so I'll check/call there as well.
But it's probably cheaper online. Can you guys recommend some websites to get it from for a good price? I did a check on pricegrabber.com (clicky), but the results came up as websites I've never heard of.
They have reviews of the merchant, of course, but input from someone on this board would make me feel a heck of a lot better.
Thanks!

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I know best buy carries the 811S, and I think they just cut the price from $400 to $375. If you want to avoid buying online, this might be your best bet.
I purchased mine online for $280 + shipping, around $315 total.
I've done some searching and found a site that has it for $278, and is only charging around $18 to ship it, putting the total with shipping at under $296.12. The site is:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/simplero.../vsxd811s.html
Hope this helps. You've made a great choice :)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Is Pioneer strict on warranty stuff like Denon is, or is it safe to buy from pretty much anyone, getting the full warranty?

Aaron

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I went to a local A/V chain (that has other stores in the Midwest) with the cheapest AUTHORIZED internet reseller's price and said I wanted the 811 for that price including tax, and they jumped all over the deal.

As for warranty, I was considering buying a new 811 from a guy on Ebay that was said to be a wholesaler, and the price was pretty good, but I was concerned about warranty. I emailed Pioneer and they said they will NOT honor warranties from unauthorized resellers or wholesalers.

Not sure how well they can enforce that if you took it to a repair shop in your town, but they are on record as saying no.

Alfer

Ronald.C

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies, everyone.
Alf: That's a good thing to know. Since you mentioned it, I checked Pioneer's website, and came up with a list of authorized online dealers.
Best buy has it for 400, along with crutchfield. Onecall.com has it for 359, plus 20 for 3rd day air fed ex.
The strict warranty puts a damper on getting it for a better price :-/ I could get it from an unathorized dealer, but I dunno... Maybe I'm paranoid, but I seem to have bad luck when it comes to things breaking.

Boka

Stunt Coordinator
B&H photo video has it for $300

I've dealt with them on many occasions (most camera stuff) and never been disappointed.

I believe they are an authorized Pioneer dealer, call and ask. Its kinda funny, it happens alot where the physical store is listed on the manufacturers website as an authorized dealer but the online part of that same store is not.

Anyway, I can't say enough good stuff about B&H and they are one of the few e-tailers I really trust.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Ronald.C--a long shot but...given your concerns about price and warranty issues--if you have an AMEX card, just buy it at Best Buy or whatever authorized B&M store has it for the lowest price, then price-match it with the lowest online-merchant price. You'd lose out on the sales tax (AMEX doesn't refund the difference on the sales tax part of the purchase) but at least you'll get some peace of mind, plus you don't have to deal with shipping in case you need to return/exchange the unit. Plus, AMEX doubles the original manufacturer warranty up to an additional year. There may be other credit card companies offering similar benefits so you may want to check with those (assuming you have credit cards, of course! :))
However--if you don't have an AMEX or similar credit card, then all of the above is moot...

Ronald.C

Auditioning
Thanks for the posts, everyone. You've all been a big help.
TonyTone : I do have credit cards, but not an AMEX. I need to doublecheck my existing cards, and see what they have to say about warranties and such.
Boka : Thanks! I'll given 'em a call and see what they say. If they're authorized, that'll solve all my problems, it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread