What's new

Where to buy a NES? (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Okay, browsing GameStop at the weekend, wife sees one of the most cherised games of her childhood, "Disney's Magical Adventure" or something on the NES. She MUST have it. Unfortunately, there's no way I'm paying GameStop prices on their hardware - $50 for a bare machine.

So, what's my options on a good solid machine that doesn't blink? Ebay? Where else? Needs the leads + a couple of controllers. Games are a bonus. Not exactly desperate for a zapper + Duck Hunt.

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

I ended up snagging a NES with 10 games, 2 controllers, the zapper, and all the normal accessories for 40 bucks on Ebay. When I was buying, I looked for the buy it now auctions and most were going for a decent price. Good luck.

Corey

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I'm worried about buying a duff NES though... There's a lot of ones out there with bad cart slots.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I got one at a local pawn shop here for 5 bucks. Have a look around the places near you and you might get lucky. Most of the places here let me test out that type of thing right in the store to save both of us time.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've just won one on eBay so advice is moot :) Now the quest for games begins...

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
ebay has some amazing deals on vintage videogames. a week back, I paid a little over $60 for an NES Action Set NEW in the original box, 7 Games, NES Advantage, Satellite, and ROB the robot. I was so stoked because my first videogame system ever was an NES Action Set my uncle bought me back in '88.

James D S

Screenwriter
Brian,

While you're out hunting on eBay for the games, pick up a replacement NES 72pin connector/slot. They go for cheap and chances are you'll need it. Maybe not now, but it's inevitable.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I'd suggest an emulator, but I assume you're in a position to know about such things already ....

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Yup, James. That's what's a little irritating for me - I've had a NES emu + the games she wants all hooked up with a PSX pad for a year now, but it's "too much hassle" & "not the same". Thus, time for the real thing again.
Ho hum.
As I said last night when we were discussing it, I've got no problem with buying a NES & games. Hell, I'm a gamer, I'm more than happy to give a good home to one. She just better play it for more than five minutes :)

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
If you have around 100 bucks go ahead and get a top-loading NES. They don't have the blinking problem with the old NES's and they are becoming more and more rare.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
The top loading models unfortunatly don't have composite outs, but the blinking problem is virtually non-existant with them I hear. The cheapest one I've seen goes for about $70 just for the base unit.
If you're looking for better ease of use compared to computer EMUs there are Dreamcast - NES EMUs. The one I have has 780 games on it (Disney Magical Adventure included). Just pick one off the simple GUI and off you go, much easier than the computer EMUs with all the settings. But I admit it's still not the same as the real thing. :) Email me for more info.
I also second picking up a 72-pin connector if you find a system you want to purchase.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
New connectors run around $10 on average on E-bay. I've been thinking of buying a new connector for my NES, but I've been using an emulator in my MAME cabinet, so I never hook the thing up anymore. Playing NES games with arcade sticks is really nice! Maybe I should just sell the thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks