What's new

Where to aim my surrounds? (1 Viewer)

TomCL

Grip
Hi,

I'm setting up a 7.1 system. I have my side surrounds about 7' high and a few inches back from the listener.

Should I mount them flush against the wall so they aim at eachother or position them down toward the couch?

The rears are on the back wall also 7' high flush with the wall.

Thanks!

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
There really isn't a hard rule on aiming them at the listener...I would try it both ways. It really boils down to what sounds best to you. I would mount them straight across from one another because thats how I did it but I had them angled down at one time to.

TomCL

Grip
Either way would you want to have the sides and the rear set up the same, or is it ok to have the rears more diffused? (We're talking 7.1 here)

Shane Harg

Second Unit
The purpose of rear (or back) speakers is actually to give directionalitly to objects flying either toward or away from the screen and to anchor sounds to the rear, which are supposed to be coming from there. That's why the rear speaker in a 6.1 setup is often referred to as a rear center channel. I have my surround and back speakers positioned in the same way - about 8 ft up and pointing down toward the listening area. I let the auto setup on my Yamaha 2600 do the rest and the soundfield is amazingly cohesive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks