Where the Season 2-5 of the Muppet Show?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Scott Thomas, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas Second Unit

The First season was great. I love the muppett show. When are the next seasons coming.

2. Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok Supporting Actor

The last I heard was early 2007 for Season 2. They were either making the bonus features better or securing music rights, so the wait will be worth it.

3. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    I believe a statement was released saying they were delaying the release to improve the quality. I'm not sure if it was to secure more music rights and/or provide some Mupp-a-licious bonus features. There are a lot of variety specials that the Muppets starred in. It would be nice to see some of those included or perhaps all of them in a box set together at some point.

I'm thinking this release will be worth the wait. The 1st one, despite the edits, was fabulous !

4. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I hope they redo the first set.

5. ChrisRose

ChrisRose Stunt Coordinator

Disney redo? Doubt it.

It'd be nice if they could release the Muppet Show a little faster than one season every 1-2 years... every 6 months would be great. But, after all, it's Disney we're talking about.

After such a delay, the quality had *better* be outstanding! No edits this time, I hope. Then again, it's Disney we're talking about.

Pardon me, I'm a little bitter about the Disney company in general. Could you tell?

6. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    I thought the last I read on TSOD, Season 2 was due this fall. Did something change?

7. Bonnie*F

Bonnie*F Stunt Coordinator

The Muppet Show is not on www.ultimatedisney.com upcoming release schedule. When you look for it under Disney and Buena Vista TV Shows (it's way down at the bottom under Acquired Series) it says "Season Two due in 2007, date TBA"

8. JonathanBB

JonathanBB Stunt Coordinator

They are probably clearing music. Remember all the music that was missing from Season One? They are probably trying to get all the music in this time. ChrisRose, Disney doesn't usually edit their movies they just couldn't afford the music. Just like Sony, Warner Brothers and pretty much every other company.

9. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

I'm all for making this set as good as it can be, but 18 months is a LONG time between releases.

10. ChrisRose

Disney has edited their movies ...censoring scenes where characters were smoking or whatever. For fear of offending Christian groups, I believe.

I thought I read somewhere there was speculation of censorship on the Muppet Show season 1 set? I could be wrong. Anyway, if any company could afford to clear music, it would be Disney. They're just stingy bastards.

In any case, it's disappointingly typical of them not to have a regular release schedule, or keep their promises - do you know how often they've announced a release date for something and then pulled the DVD with no explanation? I'm still waiting for them to say/do something about "So Dear To My Heart" and "Dr. Syn, Alias The Scarecrow". Been waiting for years.

I'm very disappointed to see the Muppet Show season 2 keep getting pushed back (it was originally supposed to be out this summer, right?) - The first season sold so well, I foolishly assumed Disney would give it special priority treatment. At least we can be fairly confident they won't quit releasing The Muppet Show, as they've given up on other series. (Unless they make a stupid decision to put everything Muppet-related on the backburner based on the failure of their crappy new Muppet Wizard of Oz TV movie - I heard that it gave them second thoughts about future projects, and made them wonder whether there's much demand for/interest in The Muppets these days after all - naturally they can't see the difference in quality between classic Jim Henson-era, and the crap *they're* coming up with for the Muppet "franchise".)

Sorry, don't mean to alarm anyone...I'm almost positive Disney will release the rest of The Muppet Show on DVD... someday. Still, I suspect they're dragging their heels because of the lack of a "modern-day" tie-in. You know how they love to cross-promote, blah, blah. They *were* going to create some sort of Muppet Reality Show, y'know, but I think (and hope) the idea's been scrapped.

11. ChrisRose

Damn straight! It just shouldn't take that long. And the longer wait only increases our expectations that the transfer be perfect, the episodes uncut, and the extras absolutely STELLAR. Judging from their track record, I don't have faith in Disney to deliver all that, no matter how much time they take (very different from time *spent* actually working on it, after all)

I'll go away now...nobody likes a pessimist. [​IMG]

12. Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore Second Unit

Well, at least it will be coming out sometime. The gf was really starting to wonder if she'd see any more Muppet fun on DVD from the old show.

13. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

No, just omissions due to music issues.